Do hermit crabs make loud clicking / popping sounds ?

psott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snail shell on glass, It can be rather load when a powerhead is helping out!

Keywest99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had 2 scarlet hermit crabs for about 2 weeks. They are very small, the size of a dime. Many times I’ve heard this loud clicking sound coming from the tank. This morning when I got up I heard it again. It sounds like something is being banged agains the glass.

I’ve never had crabs before so I don’t know what it means. I’ve researched the internet and all I find is infos about crabs chirping. But this is not chirping. So is this noise coming from the crabs and why are they doing it ?

Thanks !
I've been hearing the same thing after puting a dozen red leg hermit crabs in my tank. It sounds kind of like a pistol shrimp, but I don't have one.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update : I ordered corals and received a complimentary trochus snail. I put it in my Evo, which is closer to where I sit.

I had been hearing the noise yesterday but the lights were closed and I couldn’t see what was happening.

This afternoon it happened and I saw it ! The trochus snail is twisting it’s shell left and right 7-8 times and that’s what makes this loud clicking noise. It just did it while I was typing.

I had read about it but wasn’t sure it was true. Now I can attest it is. Mystery solved !

Back