Do I clean out my jawfish's house?

becky46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I got a blue spotted jawfish and made him a little house (see pic). I took a piece of rock, hollowed it out, and made a couple of holes for it to swim through. This might be a silly questions, but I'm trying to figure out whether it is worth lifting up the rock and cleaning/vacuuming out his place. He's taken a LOT of sand out, so I imagine it extends 2-3 inches down into the sand bed. I don't want to destroy what he's made, but I also don't want the tank to get gross. What are your thoughts? I'm also dealing with a bit of a brown algae bloom right now, which you can see in the pic.

jawfishhouse.jpg

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I got a blue spotted jawfish and made him a little house (see pic). I took a piece of rock, hollowed it out, and made a couple of holes for it to swim through. This might be a silly questions, but I'm trying to figure out whether it is worth lifting up the rock and cleaning/vacuuming out his place. He's taken a LOT of sand out, so I imagine it extends 2-3 inches down into the sand bed. I don't want to destroy what he's made, but I also don't want the tank to get gross. What are your thoughts? I'm also dealing with a bit of a brown algae bloom right now, which you can see in the pic.

jawfishhouse.jpg
I have a pistol and Watchman goby and I never clean their burrow. Not sure how I would go about it lol I think living the rock would just scare him and make him move to a new area.

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turkey baste every nook and cranny right before i do a water change. I usually do it a few times a week as well. A couple bastes and most the loose detritus will shoot outta thers

REEFDAZE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine always had multiple homes in the tank so every time I would be doing maintenance inside the tank I would push the sand back in on one of the holes. seems like it gave him something to do.
he did decide to off himself by jumping out of the tank soooo maybe Coralfishreef is right,,lol

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally limit disturbing their home. 6 months of my Watchman goby having 1 home, it was spotless under the rock when I transferred to the 120g. Just my 2 cents.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back