Do I do the obligatory clownfish as the first fish? Help a freshwater guy out

MiamiAG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a long time freshwater planted tank guy. This is my second time going into the salt side. It’s a Waterbox AIO 35.2 (33 gallons).

I do a lot of research and, from what I can see, 99% of the time, newbies seem to start with the obligatory two clownfish. This isn’t a thing on the freshwater side so it’s curious to me that SO many people start with the clownfish first.

I realize it must be because they are hardy, easily available, cheap and VERY recognizable (Nemo!). I get it. I like them too.

My question is, should I buck the trend and start with another fish? Am I doomed to follow the crowd down the clownfish route?

What would you do???

3CE442AF-6E96-42CA-89B8-504A803271EB.png

OP
OP
MiamiAG

MiamiAG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resounding NO on clownfish.

They are typically very aggressive. I will personally never keep another one. Your stocking schedule should be from least aggressive to most aggressive.
Any suggestions? I was thinking a blenny but thought they may get lonely as the first fish.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions? I was thinking a blenny but thought they may get lonely as the first fish.
Firefish, Yellow Watchman Goby, Opossum Wrasse, Blennies are cool, but may not go well with the goby

Fish with similar body types and real estate preferences tend to compete.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my clowns because they are a mated pair and usually stick together. It depends on what you want to have in the tank. I would decide that overall and go from there. You do need to put them in the tank from least aggressive to most aggressive.

ABQ_CHRIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @jabberwock. Plan all of your fish and add according to increasing likelihood of aggression.

The Goby family is huge and probably has a fish that you like. I like the peaceful wrasses, Possum and Cryptic.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are related to the damsel witch are very hardy too. Just remember they are very hard to catch.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a long time freshwater planted tank guy. This is my second time going into the salt side. It’s a Waterbox AIO 35.2 (33 gallons).

I do a lot of research and, from what I can see, 99% of the time, newbies seem to start with the obligatory two clownfish. This isn’t a thing on the freshwater side so it’s curious to me that SO many people start with the clownfish first.

I realize it must be because they are hardy, easily available, cheap and VERY recognizable (Nemo!). I get it. I like them too.

My question is, should I buck the trend and start with another fish? Am I doomed to follow the crowd down the clownfish route?

What would you do???

My lfs advised cheaper chromis as the crash test Dummies.

Sailaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What would you do???

I love my clowns. I got a pair of mochas and they are so fun to watch, and come up to me whenever I go to the tank. Very entertaining fish. They try to eat the water as I do water changes.. also like playing in the wavemaker…lol.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I come from freshwater as well and I was drawn to clown fish because I think they are very interesting and colorful fish. I also want to have an anemone down the line and hope it will host the clowns.

It’s really up to you. If you don’t like them, don’t add them to your tank.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with whatever fish you want as long as it isn't something sensitive or has certain requirements.

People like clownfish and there are 10000 designers and are everywhere so it is a common first pick up.

Plus they tend to be fairly interactive once settled.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am talking about clown fish . They are part of the damsel family. There are some cool looking damsels but they are the last fish in the tank when you try catching them.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

What would you do???
Clown fish are a first choice for a variety of reasons, being hardy is one. Popular because of pictures you see everywhere and then there is the movie.
If you like them, then I say go for it.
Just remember they live a very long time. I have a pair that I've had over 3 tanks for a total of 24 years

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with hardy and attractive and what you like. As far as personality, it really depends on the individual fish and an aquarist should always be ready to rehome someone if things aren't working out. A lot of hte clowns I have and have had are pretty docile compared to many other fish. But keep in mind persoanlities can change over time with all fish, especially as they become sexually mature. So initially, getting immature cowns I'd expect them to be relatively docile and adding new fish will be fairly straight forward compared to adding fish when you have a mature female prtecting a nest.

AlgaeBeater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never set up a saltwater tank without a clownfish or two! And, if they don't work out for whatever reason... they are amongst the easiest fish to catch. :face-without-mouth:

Back