Do i have a bacterial bloom or an algae bloom? need help with a new nano tank thats 2 month old

Guppyguppy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank was setup in august 1st, its a 16g aqurium. Its been fine for a month and all hell broke loose the second month. I need step by step guidance on what i need to do . The fish looks stressed but seems to be ok for now. I have been dealing with what looks to be dino's (stringy brown algae with bubbles) for the last 3weeks. The dinos appear to be on the decline now but my water has been very cloudy the last 3weeks or so and still is very cloudy. The glass walls are covered with green film algae, i can scrape it off and its green again within hours. I have a uv setup for the last 4days and its not helping. Can anyone help with what is going on with my tank? The thing is i dosed bunch of stuff while trying to fight the dinos like nitrate and dead phyto because my nutrients didn't register on the test kits. Do i have a algae bloom or bacterial bloom?

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Guppyguppy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last water change was after the tank cycled about a month ago. I was fighting dinos so i read you shouldn't do water changes until dinos are gone. My nitrates barely registers less than 3ppm. I don't have a phos test kit yet. Strange thing is the dinos just simply bailed just gone, and this hazyness and the green glass started rather quickly. I decided to remove the sand about 2weeks ago to fight the dinos.
20210919_191424[3780].jpg
20210919_191353[3778].jpg

OP
OP
G

Guppyguppy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok its definitely starting to clear up. I am not sure whether it was the uv or just time its clearing up not crystal clear yet but definitely not as cloudy. I feel like removing the sand bed cleared up the dinos fast.
20210922_091458[3787].jpg

OP
OP
G

Guppyguppy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on another note can i keep sps on the upper arch of the rocks with these lights i have on the tank. They are 16w each i have 2 on this 16g tank. They were pretty cheap at $40 each. They seem to be putting out good amound of light . I would say about 12k in color temp. Anyone with any experience on these lights?
20210922_092312[3789].jpg

OP
OP
G

Guppyguppy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so would you advise putting sand back in? only reason i took it out was because of the dino outbreak i had. Is it more unstable without sand?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I’d slow down. Your tank currently seems to have ‘normal’ newer tank uglies. If you are reacting, reacting more, and overreacting by dumping in (dosing) random potions and going from sand to no sand and back again, you will likely extend the timeline before you reach stability. I think more patience is the key here. Think in terms of how nice your tank will look in 6 months to a year. :)

OP
OP
G

Guppyguppy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a valid point, i was just terrified of the dinos getting a hold on the tank because i heard so much bad stuff about. I think my hammer infested the tank with dinos. I noticed when i first introduced him to the tank he was constantly spewing brown algae from his mouth for like 3days and then bam nasty brown algae with bubble everywhere about 3-5 days later. I know that sounds weird but i think i read something similar before somewhere.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOl your coral was pooping(expelling excess zooxanthelle(sp?) from the stress of moving), it did not bring in the dino's. You low nutrient levels invited the dino's in.

OP
OP
G

Guppyguppy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zoox is a type of algae , i assumed there could be some dinos mixed in there. The timing was just too spot on. I think i need to take a step back and stop analyzing so much. This hobby has a way of making you paranoid and anxious. I think my anxiety level went up 10folds since i started this tank.

OP
OP
G

Guppyguppy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh another thing is the nutrients werent low to begin with, only once the dinos got a hold the nutrients went to zero so thats why i started dosing nitrates. could the hammer have a live dino inside of it that possibly released it? is that not possible?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back