Do I have enough light for various soft coral? Fluval Marinespec

trvrstnk4837

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m the process of setting up a 125 gallon tank that is like to fill with various soft corals like GSP, mushrooms, frogspawn ECT.

I bought a 48” Fluval Marine kinda on a whim at my LFS because I couldn’t find many 6’ LEDs I was thinking that most of my rock work is within 4’ and I knew that softies have low light requirements

Im starting to think I may need more light though my tank is almost 2’ deep and my glass top gets slightly opaque plus the condensation blocks some light this review https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fluval-marine-reef-3-0-review.487421/ (bigs thanks to the OP) puts the par at 18” at only 55

I saw some 72” ReefBright LED strips at another LFS and I was thinking of adding one blue only Lumi Light strip either standard or PRO behind my Fluval or maybe selling mine and using one 50/50 XHO

So am I way over thinking this and about to waste money? Just get some coral and wait to see if they grow

Or do you guys think I should go ahead and add some more PAR

Thanks

The light isn’t cranked all the way up in this photo but just to give an idea on where my corals might be
7EA4E6F6-CD5D-45AA-BAB0-5C812A11A139.jpeg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have enough light for a lot of animals. Question is whether they, and you will be happy long term. Get some PAR readings and decide from there if you need more light.

NefariousPillow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m the process of setting up a 125 gallon tank that is like to fill with various soft corals like GSP, mushrooms, frogspawn ECT.

I bought a 48” Fluval Marine kinda on a whim at my LFS because I couldn’t find many 6’ LEDs I was thinking that most of my rock work is within 4’ and I knew that softies have low light requirements

Im starting to think I may need more light though my tank is almost 2’ deep and my glass top gets slightly opaque plus the condensation blocks some light this review https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fluval-marine-reef-3-0-review.487421/ (bigs thanks to the OP) puts the par at 18” at only 55

I saw some 72” ReefBright LED strips at another LFS and I was thinking of adding one blue only Lumi Light strip either standard or PRO behind my Fluval or maybe selling mine and using one 50/50 XHO

So am I way over thinking this and about to waste money? Just get some coral and wait to see if they grow

Or do you guys think I should go ahead and add some more PAR

Thanks

The light isn’t cranked all the way up in this photo but just to give an idea on where my corals might be
7EA4E6F6-CD5D-45AA-BAB0-5C812A11A139.jpeg
I have a 125 gallon as well and am thinking of going with this light. What did you end up doing?

OP
OP
trvrstnk4837

trvrstnk4837

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 gallon as well and am thinking of going with this light. What did you end up doing?

I ended up getting a reef bright pro it’s an all blue model so I also stuck a stick on Amazon white strip to it because the sides of the tank were all blue

I would just get a 72” maybe the white/blue version of the reef bright I’m guna keep the Fluval on for the time being but in hind sight getting a light that doesn’t cover the tank was silly

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a fluval sea (2x32" lights) over my 30 inch deep 220 (came with it when i bought the system)...it can barely make enough light for the fish at 8 inches off the water, wouldnt even consider coral.

I ran just that light for the first two months my tank was up and it didnt even grow diatoms...turned on my quanta bars and had a brown explosion all over the tank lol.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back