Do I Medicate

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I just bought a couple clowns and have them in quarantine tank. my display tank is cycled and showing all zeroes on my test kit. But I plan on leaving them in quarantine for atleast 2-4 weeks. I got the fish last night and they appear healthy no spots or signs of distress and they're eating good. So my question is do I go ahead and treat for ick or just keep an eye on them and see how they do.

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend some type of medication. I plan to go chloroquine route from now on. I have a tank running I thought was free from ich but recently when moved tank I had a break out. My fish are doing ok with it but will soon be medicated before going to the new tank I am building.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Passive observation is fine but there are two diseases which can harbor inside a fish's gills sight unseen: ich & flukes.

However, you should still notice behavioral symptoms such as head twitching, flashing, scratching, yawning, etc. But if you don't have time everyday to sit in front of the QT and watch your fish, then it's best to just prophylactically treat IMO.

OP
OP
Catchemall

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your replies I guess I'll go ahead and treat them then because really only time I have to watch is an hr or so in the evenin. So do you all recommend using cuprimine for ick. Should I use prazipro too?

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your replies I guess I'll go ahead and treat them then because really only time I have to watch is an hr or so in the evenin. So do you all recommend using cuprimine for ick. Should I use prazipro too?
You can't mix the two together in the same tank. Run one first then clear it out and run the other. Or, do the TTM with prazipro and you won't need to use the copper.

OP
OP
Catchemall

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for letting me know. I'm a newbie. So can you explain TTM with prazipro

OP
OP
Catchemall

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank transfer method never mind lol thanks for leading me in the right direction.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, I didn't do TTM with my first couple of fish and one of them got ich. Now all new additions go through TTM followed by a few weeks in QT.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HF is chloroquine safe for all fish?

IME; Sixline and Melanurus wrasses both usually waste away and die after about a week in it. And I've also yet to get a Hippo tang thru it (same thing happens.) But both Hippos I tried were already diseased, so I can't say for sure until I try a healthy one.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Catchemall

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I may try to get some cuprimine and a test kit tomar he definatley has it kinda see some white specs and the little one is moving his mouth a lot and his fins are clamped now and swimming at an angle. So I've notice no one has mentioned hyposalinity does it not work good?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've notice no one has mentioned hyposalinity does it not work good?

I'm not a fan of hypo for the following reasons:
  • Difficult to execute properly. You must use a perfectly calibrated refractometer and auto top off system to keep the SG at exactly 1.009 at all times.
  • Too large a margin for error. If the SG inches up even slightly from 1.009 during the 30 day treatment period, the 30 day clock restarts. :(
  • Hypo resistant strains of ich have been proven to exist (study done by Yambot in 2003.)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back