Do I need a protein skimmer for a 20 Gallon High tank?

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't shaming your opinion. You didn't say "imo" so I assumed to were stating it as a fact like a lot of people on this site do when it comes to protein skimmers. There is a crowd of people who say reefing is impossible or extremely difficult without one and thats not true
Ok whatever. I cant believe people actually argue over dumb things like this. Btw just because there isn’t an “imo” next to a statement doesn’t mean it’s a fact lol. Something might work for one man and it won’t for another. Anyways, my opinion doesn’t change and that’s just my experience. And of course you can have a tank without a skimmer, but its just adds extra time and maintenance. But i’m done responding to this useless argument

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread made me come out of my 2 year retirement I can’t lurk and read a totally false statement. This is simply not a true. You should not be putting really more than 3 small fish in a 20g anyways and you can definitely have a great tank without a skimmer and only a filter.

below is my 32g tank, 6 years old, never had a skimmer, nitrates run 5ppm or below. I feed pellets twice a day, frozen for a treat once a week. No carbon, no gfo, no uv. Just a filter floss and a airstone on the back chamber. WC once a week to every other week.

I’m not going to but I could post a pic of my sons 15g fluval flex freshwater conversion tank running nothing but an air stone and that weird sponge like filter they have on the back. Nothing else, with 2 clowns and a goby, growing corals and purple coralline growing everywhere.

Op, sorry to thread highjack but this hobby can be as simple as you make it or as easy. Just be consistent, sometimes less is more.
That’s definitely the nicest tank I’ve seen without one! Very nice.

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I take back my recommendation on using the aquaclear 110 filters as a fuge. No matter how I try setting them up they always end up a detritus trap. My bioload is too light to even run the fuges right now, I ended up having to trash my cheato and turn the light off to get nutrients detectable again.

If you stock lightly there’s no need to add that extra maintenance item. Although my tank is a complete clusterf**k right now so I probably shouldn’t even be giving advice. Went from heavy bioload to a light bioload and threw things all out of line. So just keep it light and stick to water changes and it will be much simpler.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back