Do I need a QT for my first 2 fish?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some people QT shrimp and snails on the very tiny chance they could have a fish parasite temporarily living on them, but the chance of that happening is very, very low. It won't hurt anything to quarantine them, provided you can feed them appropriately in QT (this is mostly a problem with snails), but isn't anywhere near as important as fish QT.

You should closely inspect any snails you add, though, as they can have things living on their shell. Usually it'll just be algae and the like, but you may get an aiptasia that way.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people QT shrimp and snails on the very tiny chance they could have a fish parasite temporarily living on them, but the chance of that happening is very, very low. It won't hurt anything to quarantine them, provided you can feed them appropriately in QT (this is mostly a problem with snails), but isn't anywhere near as important as fish QT.

You should closely inspect any snails you add, though, as they can have things living on their shell. Usually it'll just be algae and the like, but you may get an aiptasia that way.
I temp acclimated the snails then put them on a plate so they spit the water out. Then I put them on my lid so they could crawl into the water at their own pace.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a good way to do it.
I read it on here but I'm not sure where the post is about snails. I copied the text so I had it, I just don't know who it came from.

Ron Shimek taught me how to acclimate snails 10+ years ago and it has worked well for me. Float the bag to adjust temp. Remove the snails and place in an empty bowl. Let them close up and express the transport water. Set up a small ramp of plexiglass along the glass at the top of the tank (or sump) going from air to submerged. Place the snails at the edge of the water on the ramp and let them slowly crawl in. They self acclimate.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back