Do I need a skimmer for my 30 gallon?

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 10 months old and I am using a sea clone protein skimmer. I am getting lots of diatoms my filtration is a aqua clear hang on back filter rates for 15 gallons. Will upgrading to better filtration like a canister filter help. That was only my first question. Do you really need a protein skimmer for a nano reef tank? I do water changes about once every other week. The only reason I want to remove my skimmer is because it just looks to bulky hanging on the back of my tank and just takes to much space in my display. Can someone please help me I would appreciate that.

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people don't skimmers, I personally do. I see that nasty cup fill up about half an inch in a day. If you already have it running I would keep it imo.

joshyross70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ran my 34 gallon with and without a skimmer. Water quality is way better with a skimmer and also helps corals be happier.

Alex Merida

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep the skimmer on specially on a nano, because of how quickly can the quality of the water change.

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G’day! Diatoms at 10 months says your makeup water has silicates, if you remove the silicates the diatoms will burn out assuming they are diatoms are not dinoflagellates.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer is just another means for nutrient export...like water changes, filter socks, etc. What methods you use are completely up to you and your nutrient levels. Some get by without doing anything......some need all methods combined. In a nano, water changes should be enough but only testing will tell you for sure.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll agree with @Waters.

Skimmers are just another means of nutrient control. On a nano tank such as yours(30G), weekly WC's should be enough to keep up.

With that said, there are many other reasons to run a skimmer besides nutrient control. Such as adding oxygen to the water.

Every tank is different, what works for one, may not work for another. Only you can decide if a skimmer is working for you or not.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back