Do I need a step-down converter for US HOB filter, here in the UK?

JackDemetriou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I got the Fluval C4 HOB Filter from Amazon, not realising it was a US product. I am wondering how I can safely run this here in the UK? Do I need a step-down converter plug, or will a simple plug adapter be okay?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it involves a motor in the pump I wouldn't recommend it. AC motor speed is determined by the frequency of the power. It is 60Hz here and 50 there so even if you got a voltage converter it would run slower and not make the rated flow.
No you can not plug a motor rated for 110v into 230V with a plug adapter.

I would return it.

OP
OP
J

JackDemetriou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it involves a motor in the pump I wouldn't recommend it. AC motor speed is determined by the frequency of the power. It is 60Hz here and 50 there so even if you got a voltage converter it would run slower and not make the rated flow.
No you can not plug a motor rated for 110v into 230V with a plug adapter.

I would return it.

I saw that on the website for the filter, it lists both 110V 60Hz and 240 50Hz. Would it still be okay to use here in the UK? I have contacted Fluval directly but waiting to here back.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the manual on Fluvals website. I didn't find anything

I really don't know. If it's just an AC motor it would work with a voltage conversion but wouldn't run as fast. What that would do to the filters performance? I don't know that either.
If you want to use it you are going to have to see what they say.

OP
OP
J

JackDemetriou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the manual on Fluvals website. I didn't find anything

I really don't know. If it's just an AC motor it would work with a voltage conversion but wouldn't run as fast. What that would do to the filters performance? I don't know that either.
If you want to use it you are going to have to see what they say.

Screenshot_20200120-013552_Chrome.jpg

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are probable separate options you see in the manual. The motor pops off of the housing, I bet they sell 2 versions the us and U.K. but they are not interchangeable. I would send it back. Worst case if they don’t take returns you could get a 240/50hz motor and swap just that.

OP
OP
J

JackDemetriou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are probable separate options you see in the manual. The motor pops off of the housing, I bet they sell 2 versions the us and U.K. but they are not interchangeable. I would send it back. Worst case if they don’t take returns you could get a 240/50hz motor and swap just that.

I cannot see a UK version on their website. I do like the filter though, but they don't seem to have an equivalent here in the UK.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Motors have a range they can operate within. If it doesn’t say on the motor itself, or in the manual, would wait to hear back from fluval

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found an amazon post of someone who plugged it in with an adaptor and said it let the magic smoke out and quit working within minutes. FWIW

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back