DO I NEED BETTER EQUIPTMENT?? My story

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I want to start off saying when I started 6mos ago it was because my girlfriend got a 5g nano tank for Christmas and tbh I thought it was "cool" but nothing worth buying lol. BUT.... once I went to our LFS and bought her her first coral I was HOOKED. I never in my life saw colors like that and had no idea what coral really even looked like in real life... I thought they were supposed to be white branches lol. After countless hours and days and months of research we decided to get rid of her 20g freshwater tank and turn it into MY saltwater tank. And I definitely crowded it with corals way too fast lol but I'm honestly more into the hobby now than she is. When I started I wanted to make it easy and CHEAP so all I have is a 20g long, heater, one DC powerhead, and a cheap HOB filer that I got on Amazon for 15$. I cut sheets of carbon filter I also bought on Amazon every 2 weeks but this filter is made for a 5g or less tank lol. I'm wondering if I should upgrade now that I've spent thousands of dollars on corals and other equiptment and I have a 15$ filter lol. Will it change chemistry at all? I have some algea issues but nothing crazy. Please lmk what you guys think. If it weren't for R2R I definitely would of quit by now so I appreciate all your help. Thanks in advance.
Peter

*only coral loss- 1 trachyphyllia got stung by my torch...
5g WC weekly
Feed mysis/ brine daily
Spot feed coral once a week

Attachments

• Snapchat-1996079610.mp4
    33.8 MB
  • Snapchat-1209823701.mp4
    23.5 MB

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you got the bug…. the answer to any upgrade is always “yes” :)

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you got the bug…. the answer to any upgrade is always “yes” :)
Yeaaa I think I need a new tank all together lol. I want to get a drop down tank but I have no idea how I'm going to transfer everything it seems way too complicated so I've been fragging everything as I go.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I want to start off saying when I started 6mos ago it was because my girlfriend got a 5g nano tank for Christmas and tbh I thought it was "cool" but nothing worth buying lol. BUT.... once I went to our LFS and bought her her first coral I was HOOKED. I never in my life saw colors like that and had no idea what coral really even looked like in real life... I thought they were supposed to be white branches lol. After countless hours and days and months of research we decided to get rid of her 20g freshwater tank and turn it into MY saltwater tank. And I definitely crowded it with corals way too fast lol but I'm honestly more into the hobby now than she is. When I started I wanted to make it easy and CHEAP so all I have is a 20g long, heater, one DC powerhead, and a cheap HOB filer that I got on Amazon for 15$. I cut sheets of carbon filter I also bought on Amazon every 2 weeks but this filter is made for a 5g or less tank lol. I'm wondering if I should upgrade now that I've spent thousands of dollars on corals and other equiptment and I have a 15$ filter lol. Will it change chemistry at all? I have some algea issues but nothing crazy. Please lmk what you guys think. If it weren't for R2R I definitely would of quit by now so I appreciate all your help. Thanks in advance.
Peter

*only coral loss- 1 trachyphyllia got stung by my torch...
5g WC weekly
Feed mysis/ brine daily
Spot feed coral once a week
If everything is looking great and are growing, I reckon you are fine and don't need to make changes. :)

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yaya, that could also happen actually. Generally if something is working, don't 'fix' it lol
Yea exactly, but what do I do about this...

Attachments

• 20210517_165531.jpg
    20210517_165531.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be a hitchhiker algae of some kind. I personally would leave it be unless it grows too quickly and is in danger of smothering corals and stuff, then I would cut it back.
I do cut it back it's not a major issue now but ive seen it on other corals particularly my scoly and I keep having to brush it with h2o2

Finallysalty80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. If ain't broke......
2. It's true the answer is always "yes" to upgrades.

Solution....leave that tank as is and BUY/START A WHOLE NEW REEF TANK lol !!!!!!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back