Do i need to buy the separate contoller tonuse the a360x?

U

User1

View Badges
No.

You can plug it into a controller power outlet and turn on/off via a scheduler. You can use a traditional timer. You can also use a smart outlet. These allow you to turn on and off at a set time.

Color and spectrum are controlled by two knobs on the top of the a360x. One is for intensity and the other for color tuning. The FAQ below should help getting started. The a360x is designed with something called Kessil Logic by default. This is, from their FAQ: Kessil Logic locks in the ideal spectrum for coral and plant growth, meaning your tank will thrive regardless of the colors you choose.

The wired or wifi controller open up additional spectrum colors, timers, acclimation, and a few other things that are not available otherwise. Is it needed though? No. I ran mine for a while without but then again I'm a bit partial to the spectrum / color.

OP
OP
W

Waterpet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.

You can plug it into a controller power outlet and turn on/off via a scheduler. You can use a traditional timer. You can also use a smart outlet. These allow you to turn on and off at a set time.

Color and spectrum are controlled by two knobs on the top of the a360x. One is for intensity and the other for color tuning. The FAQ below should help getting started. The a360x is designed with something called Kessil Logic by default. This is, from their FAQ: Kessil Logic locks in the ideal spectrum for coral and plant growth, meaning your tank will thrive regardless of the colors you choose.

The wired or wifi controller open up additional spectrum colors, timers, acclimation, and a few other things that are not available otherwise. Is it needed though? No. I ran mine for a while without but then again I'm a bit partial to the spectrum / color.

OK thanks thats good to know. But will it allow to ramp up and down intensity for dawn and dusk or does that require the controller? I hate to have the lights just flick on or off to or from full intensity. From what I've seen the normal kessil colour I do like as is.

U

User1

View Badges
OK thanks thats good to know. But will it allow to ramp up and down intensity for dawn and dusk or does that require the controller? I hate to have the lights just flick on or off to or from full intensity. From what I've seen the normal kessil colour I do like as is.

You will not be able to ramp up or down. Just on/off via a smart plug, controller port, etc.

Not sure if you already own them but if you are looking for a Kessil with built in functionality you could look at the AP9X. Different package but similar dense matrix LED.

Edit: I am not a fan of extra controllers but in the case of the Kessil a360x's I own I bought on. You can still use the default Kessil login spectrum but do have the additional features.

OP
OP
W

Waterpet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will not be able to ramp up or down. Just on/off via a smart plug, controller port, etc.

Not sure if you already own them but if you are looking for a Kessil with built in functionality you could look at the AP9X. Different package but similar dense matrix LED.

Edit: I am not a fan of extra controllers but in the case of the Kessil a360x's I own I bought on. You can still use the default Kessil login spectrum but do have the additional features.

OP
OP
W

Waterpet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No I don't own it yet. Its for a new waterbox 60.2 aquarium which I will be setting up soon. I'm trying to justify the price with the controller since I will only need the one unit. I will take a look at the ap9x but I expect its for a larger tank? I may just end up going with a red sea reefled 90 for simplicity but I know the Kessil will be better.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I went with the 360we, I have an apex and didn't see it worth paying 100 more for the light and 100 for controller to use it. I have my kessil hooked to my apex, ramping up and down was very simple, love it.

U

User1

View Badges
Better cooling. Smaller package or form factor. Updated LED matrix array.

Is it better? Probably. Worth 100 bucks? I don't know really. I knew a few respected people who have been running the 360we's for a while with great success didn't upgrade. One even tried it but went back as it didn't really seem worth it in the long run. In short they didn't see the need to upgrade in this cycle so skipping it.

You may be able to find a used spectraX controller as people are upgrading to the wireless unit. Also if you like the Kessil light, or any others for that matter, you don't need to ramp up and down. I mean it looks nice to us humans but there is a lot of debate if it really matters in the big picture.

I ran lights with on/off for many a year before migrating to controllable ramp up/down.

OP
OP
W

Waterpet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better cooling. Smaller package or form factor. Updated LED matrix array.

Is it better? Probably. Worth 100 bucks? I don't know really. I knew a few respected people who have been running the 360we's for a while with great success didn't upgrade. One even tried it but went back as it didn't really seem worth it in the long run. In short they didn't see the need to upgrade in this cycle so skipping it.

You may be able to find a used spectraX controller as people are upgrading to the wireless unit. Also if you like the Kessil light, or any others for that matter, you don't need to ramp up and down. I mean it looks nice to us humans but there is a lot of debate if it really matters in the big picture.

I ran lights with on/off for many a year before migrating to controllable ramp up/down.
Great, good info there. I see there is a 360we with controller on ebay secondhand so I may have a bid on that first. Thanks for all the help.

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, good info there. I see there is a 360we with controller on ebay secondhand so I may have a bid on that first. Thanks for all the help.

All the info above is correct so I don't have much to add here about your previous questions. If you do end up winning the A360WE, let us know. We can check if there's still a warranty on it, and if not, we'll send you the deep cleaning instructions. The lights are workhorses that work for a LONG time if they're kept clean. It wouldn't hurt to do a deep cleaning on it prior to setting up initially as you never know how the previous owner took care of it.

Let us know if there's anything else we can assist with!

OP
OP
W

Waterpet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the info above is correct so I don't have much to add here about your previous questions. If you do end up winning the A360WE, let us know. We can check if there's still a warranty on it, and if not, we'll send you the deep cleaning instructions. The lights are workhorses that work for a LONG time if they're kept clean. It wouldn't hurt to do a deep cleaning on it prior to setting up initially as you never know how the previous owner took care of it.

Thank you very much

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Where can we get the deep cleaning instructions? I just picked up a 360WE on black Friday from BRS, would love for it to last a long time

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can we get the deep cleaning instructions? I just picked up a 360WE on black Friday from BRS, would love for it to last a long time
Send us an email - [email protected]. The lamps have a 2 year warranty, so we don't advise doing a deep cleaning until the light is 2 years old as opening the housing voids the warranty. But we can send you the instructions so you have them handy!

While the light is still in warranty, some basic cleaning is the most important thing. Every month or so, do the following:
- spray out the light with a can of compressed air from all directions
- wipe down the housing to remove any dust or salt creep
- use a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol to clean off any dust or salt creep that doesn't wipe off - particularly around the control ports or the knobs.
- keep the rubber stoppers in the control ports if you're not using a controller.

Just me personally, every time I harvest my chaeto (3-4 weeks), I do a wipe and spray down of my lamps. Makes it a part of my regular maintenance.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back