Do I need to dose a carbon source to have a successful reef tank

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I’ve been hearing a lot lately about carbon dosing either vodka or Vinegar or no pox. From what I’ve read dosing it reduces nitrates and phosphates so if my nitrate and phosphates are in normal range would dosing a carbon source still be beneficial even tho I’m not trying to reduce nitrates and phosphates?

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't try and solve a problem that you don't have. No need to carbon dose if your numbers are in an acceptable range.
I have read something about the carbon feeds bacteria and bacteria grows and corals eat this easier then the nitrate and phosphate

Upvote 0
OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't try and solve a problem that you don't have. No need to carbon dose if your numbers are in an acceptable range.
My issue is I have always had little or no coral growth and never gave this a try. So figure I’d do little research before I try

Upvote 1

Andrew Zimmerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe if your corals have stagnant growth carbon dosing will not fix your issue. You more than likely need to check other factors. Flow, lighting, cal, alk and such.
What type of tank do you have?

Upvote 0

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep carbon in the closet in case of emergency but have only used it once or twice in the past 10 years

Upvote 1

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, you don't need to dose that to have a successful tank.

Old tank - No carbon dosing
mUxqhOol.jpg

New downsized tank - no carbon dosing (please ignore the algae in the back).
GBASRVnl.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe if your corals have stagnant growth carbon dosing will not fix your issue. You more than likely need to check other factors. Flow, lighting, cal, alk and such.
What type of tank do you have?
I have a 120 gallon reef ready tank, 1 mp40 and 1 other power head, 2 g5 x30 pro, 7.5 alk, 400cal , 1450 mag, 10 nitrate, .05 phosphate. As everything seems fine I’m just starting to try to look outside the box now. Wanted to know if carbon dosing does anything more then just lower nitrates and phosphates because what if heard about the bacteria that the carbon feeds is great for corals so should I be dosing carbon source like vinegar

Upvote 0

Andrew Zimmerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had numbers similar to yours on my newest tank. What made my corals grow faster is.. I feed my fish 3 times a day, I raised my alk to 9, cal to 450, and keep my ph up as much as I can ( this is my hardest task especially in the winter). I also have been using ameno acids. After a year I have corals growing out of the water.

Upvote 0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef tanks were successful before carbon dosing ;)

If nutrients are not an issue, this will likely do more harm than good. Your problem lies elsewhere.

Upvote 0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back