Do I need to keep my glass tank hood off while medicating my fish with Coppersafe?

Katdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love some help! I have a 10 gallon tank with 1 black molly, 1 red coral platy, and 2 dwarf Cory catfish.

I am a newer fish owner and noticed my black molly wasn’t doing so well. I had noticed long poos which now I believe may have been some parasites. Never white or clear, always colored so I still think it may just be from the colored flakes. However, I noticed some white spots on her and noticed she was not feeling well, laying on the bottom of the tank often and clinched fins. I did some research and believe she has ich or also called ick. I am treating my entire tank with Coppersafe. And am aware that my plants may die. But I would rather buy new plants then lose my fish.

I am worried the medication will suffocate my fish since I have a tight sealed glass lid to prevent evaporation. Will my fish be getting enough oxygen with the medication? Or should I take the hood off? Even for a few hours a day?

Please help, I do not want to lose any of my fish!

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Antibiotics are known to deplete oxygen, not positive about copper. Aiming a powerhead up to the surface will help with oxygen exchange. You may want to leave them off just to be safe. Do you have egg crate to use temporarily?

OP
OP
Katdog

Katdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got one today! Thank you. I will use that lid temporarily while I treat my fish. Thanks for the help!

Back