Do I need to re-cycle tank after fallow period?

BorderCollieReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon nano that has been kept fallow for the past 6 weeks. It was cycled previously and I have been feeding a cleaner shrimp every other day. Is this enough to keep the nitrifying bacteria colony strong enough to reintroduce 2 clowns, or should I add some bottled bacteria with them?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m 100% sure even if you did not feed for three years it wouldnt starve, cycles cannot starve that’s made up forum lore. Open topped aquariums in a home self feed all day. Cycles cannot be starved, your tank is full of organics from prior running

we have three year fallow tests on file, cycles cannot starve in a home in an open topped reef. The cycle is as strong as the day it went fallow. When testing, make sure you don’t rely on test kits shown on the web to misread for just about everyone, that could mislead you about what bacteria do

simply add fish back, don’t add new bottle bac, for sure don’t dose ammonia, the cycle isn’t starved.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back