Do I need to remove all fish from my reef tank if I have ICK?

reefcat07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 270 WB tank and I went against my gut feeling and I added some fish from a LFS and I have an ICK outburst. I removed all my expensive fish yesterday after taking my tank apart to catch my fish.

I left a few chromis in it that I could not catch.

Will having these chromis affect my 90 day ICK removal from my tank?

Also I have all my fish in a 20 gallon QT tank. How long do I keep those fish in the QT tank?

If I have 5 tangs in a QT tank is it ok?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 270 WB tank and I went against my gut feeling and I added some fish from a LFS and I have an ICK outburst. I removed all my expensive fish yesterday after taking my tank apart to catch my fish.

I left a few chromis in it that I could not catch.

Will having these chromis affect my 90 day ICK removal from my tank?

Also I have all my fish in a 20 gallon QT tank. How long do I keep those fish in the QT tank?

If I have 5 tangs in a QT tank is it ok?

All fish have to come out or it’s not fallow and pointless. Even the tiniest goby has to come out.

You need more tanks or something bigger than a 20g for that many fish. You can buy a large rubber made tub at a fleet or tractor place pretty cheap.

Craming too many fish in too small of a QT is one of the reasons QT gets a bad wrap for killing fish. You should not half butt QT.

OP
OP
R

reefcat07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish have to come out or it’s not fallow and pointless. Even the tiniest goby has to come out.

You need more tanks or something bigger than a 20g for that many fish. You can buy a large rubber made tub at a fleet or tractor place pretty cheap.

Craming too many fish in too small of a QT is one of the reasons QT gets a bad wrap for killing fish. You should not half butt QT.
How long shall I let my DT run fish free to add fish again?

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
If you have your tank and 81 degrees and it does not drop below, you can do 45 days fallow.

Remember if it drops below 81 you start over.

Or you can do 76 days at regular temp

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have your tank and 81 degrees and it does not drop below, you can do 45 days fallow.

Remember if it drops below 81 you start over.

Or you can do 76 days at regular temp
If temp falls below 81 you don't have to start over you just need to go on out to the 76 days.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah man. It’s a lot of work to get it out once you have an outbreak.
Im a huge fan of tank transfer method (36 hr velvet protocol) to clean fish prior to adding to display. When the whole tank gets it you’re stuck with the fallow as everyone has said, and you also have to QT multiple fish together with copper. Use copper power, not cupramine, and test daily.m for the copper and use the ammonia badge per other suggestions.

I like copper power because it’s safe with prime (original prime, think I heard prime plus isn’t safe), whereas cupramine and an ammonia reducer are toxic.

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I personally would remove everything from the tank and trash the existing sand, replace the sand and put everything back in except the fish and then run tank fallow as previously mentioned. Too many places for ich to go dormant in the sand bed only to get stirred up later

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would remove everything from the tank and trash the existing sand, replace the sand and put everything back in except the fish and then run tank fallow as previously mentioned. Too many places for ich to go dormant in the sand bed only to get stirred up later
Do you have any support that this is possible?

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Holy cow! Its a good thing I run a cryptocaryon managed tank with a uv and good feeding and as little stress as possible. If I had to go through almost 3 months of quarantining and fallow with no guarantee of it being successful, I think I would probably not continue in this hobby. I think some of the advice given, though in good spirit, might be a little on the overwhelming side for a new person in the hobby. Jmho.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 104 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%

Back