Do I need to vacuum out detritus from my sump?

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the timing is pretty awesome. I finally decided to clean the sump. It was absolutely disgusting. It caused me to realize i need tomredo the sump altogether.

i have a much more accessible,easier to clean set up. 50 gallon insteqd of 29, so i am very happy with the change.

if rocks in your sump, that is fine , but dont put them in an inaccessible area because it definitely will require maintenance. Ended up being the same as a dirty canister filter, clogged and requiring a deep clean.

That looks good. You have a lot packed into that sump! Are those toddlers shrieking in the background of that video?

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to keep my sump clean because it keeps my skimmer clean and then my skimmer works better.
Order for me:

drain to filter sock, chaeto tumbling in same first chamber, then moves to UV chamber, then to skimmer, then to mass of rocks, then bubble trap and thick floss into return section. Old set up had the skimmer and chaeto in same chamber and would pull out chaeto from skimmers intake every couple days,
I definitely get the idea of aannoying dirty skimmers lol

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks good. You have a lot packed into that sump! Are those toddlers shrieking in the background of that video?
Literal constant screaming, it doesnt even register with me anymore. 1 and 4 year old daughters, constantly playing barbies and breaking up fights, they steal from each other and fight over who gets to feed the fish so i figure they both can feed them and itll work itself out

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literal constant screaming, it doesnt even register with me anymore. 1 and 4 year old daughters, constantly playing barbies and breaking up fights, they steal from each other and fight over who gets to feed the fish so i figure they both can feed them and itll work itself out
I have a 1 year old, 4 year old, and two 8 year olds. The 4 year old is the only boy. My house maintains about a 3.6 on the Richter scale.

Coinzmans Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hit the feeder button for 12 minutes and close the slider before the bubble trap to keep the detritus away from the pump chamber than place the internal Magnum canister filter in the sump for a couple hours. Before the sump pump turns on I reset the slider for normal operation, after12 minutes the sump is clean enough not to send detritus back to the DT. I preform a sump clean monthly.

Last edited:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never use mechanical filtration not in many years anyway. I just run a skimmer which probably removes some detritus. I never vacuum my sump but not much detritus can be found in there.
Read this and what Randy has to say about it.

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting about the pods. My tank had completely been overtaken by small less than 1 mm copepods up to 0.5 cm amphipods covering the glass and rocks. A flashlight at night looked like an ant conoly. I have had an outbreak of GHA, bryopsis, and treated with reef flux. This caused detritus build up, huge accumulation probably 2-3” where i keep a large amt of live rock in sump. The die off was followed by first experience with cyanobacteria, and used chemi clean to clean that up. I noticed a significant decrease in amt of pods i see in my tank, not sure what happened. Also nitrates were pushing 100, and a deep clean of the sump and removal of all detritus has no3 back to 15. Tank has done a 180 for the best over the last week

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple answer to a simple question............You clean your toilet in your home don't you?

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vacuum mine out with every water change and keep several different types of snails and emerald crabs and a few peppermint shrimp all to help with any pests and algae buildup from the fuge light.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back