Do I need to vacuum out detritus from my sump?

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I vacuum out the detritus in my sump? I was always told to not vacuum it out because it provides a home for your copopods. Well I have about an inch of it in my sump and one little disturbance makes a huge cloud that gets in my display.
image.jpg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I vacuum out the detritus in my sump? I was always told to not vacuum it out because it provides a home for your copopods. Well I have about an inch of it in my sump and one little disturbance makes a huge cloud that gets in my display.
image.jpg
I may be weird, but sometimes I stir it up on purpose. Skimmer will take some out and I figure my coral will take some up.
But, I don't let it get to an inch of depth. I would probably suck that up.

attica38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wondered if I should do this also. I stir mine up some in hopes that the skimmer takes some but I might now reading some of these comments clean it up.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Detritus build up will eventually cause nitrate and phosphate build up that will require tackling with other methods in my experience.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I currently clean it (every 6 months) I have an old power head, i attach a hose to the outlet and the intake sucks up the detritus and the hose I have it in a filter sock.
Works well and fast.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I what I’m gathering is clean it out put some lr in there and keep cleaning it out or clean it out ever so often?

Schweezy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anecdotally, yes, clean it as often as you’d do a water change. I notice when I do it that my main display inhabitants appear to be happier and I get lease algae on my glass. Also, go review the detail that WWC puts into cleaning their sumps and the reasoning behind it. Pair that with their results and you’ll be doing it in no time.

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't keep live rock in the sump if detritus is of great concern to you. I'm with atoll in the harmless camp, but I don't like rock in my sump either.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't keep live rock in the sump if detritus is of great concern to you. I'm with atoll in the harmless camp, but I don't like rock in my sump either.
:( my sump is full of live rock and I’m always looking for more on FB lolol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 49

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anecdotally, yes, clean it as often as you’d do a water change. I notice when I do it that my main display inhabitants appear to be happier and I get lease algae on my glass. Also, go review the detail that WWC puts into cleaning their sumps and the reasoning behind it. Pair that with their results and you’ll be doing it in no time.
Do you have a link to this? A quick Google search failed me.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the timing is pretty awesome. I finally decided to clean the sump. It was absolutely disgusting. It caused me to realize i need tomredo the sump altogether.

i have a much more accessible,easier to clean set up. 50 gallon insteqd of 29, so i am very happy with the change.

if rocks in your sump, that is fine , but dont put them in an inaccessible area because it definitely will require maintenance. Ended up being the same as a dirty canister filter, clogged and requiring a deep clean.

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to keep my sump clean because it keeps my skimmer clean and then my skimmer works better.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back