Do I really need a check valve on return lines

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I really need to use check valves?

If my sump is large enough to handle the back flow of water? Using 2 DC pumps....

The “right” answer in know is yes, but I’m really trying to avoid them if I can. Added plumbing. Possible failed point in future. Difficulty servicing.

Does anyone NOT use them?

And if you say yes; type, style, brand please?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If my sump is large enough to handle the back flow of water? Using 2 DC pumps....

The “right” answer in know is yes, but I’m really trying to avoid them if I can. Added plumbing. Possible failed point in future. Difficulty servicing.

For what it's worth, I don't have check valves. When I turn off my return pumps to the extent that the water drains back into the sump I still have capacity. It seems like the better practice is to not rely on check valves but rather size the sump volume, etc. properly.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I don't have check valves. When I turn off my return pumps to the extent that the water drains back into the sump I still have capacity. It seems like the better practice is to not rely on check valves but rather size the sump volume, etc. properly.
This.
Mechanical devices exposed to salt water fail. Its not a question of if, but when. You're better off without one.

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a syphon break in my return line. I keep my water level in my DT right at or just below that hole and never worry. My sump never fills to even the point where my skimmer cup attached to my FC80 skimmer.still about three inches left in the sump before carpet gets wet.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t think the ‘right’ answer actually is yes. I think most experienced reefers have concluded that checks really don’t work all that well, and are just one more thing to forget to maintain.

jman930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a different experience. I don’t have a massive sump so I put check valves on my dual return lines. Saved my bacon on multiple power outages over the years.
Best to plan for the worst and hope for the best. If you have room for a big sump to handle to water good. If you have a check valve too then that’s better. If you keep your returns pointed toward the surface to minimize the amount of water that could get siphoned down along with the rest then that is your best solution.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't think the "right" answer would be "yes" for check-valves. If you have enough space in your sump to handle the backflow of water when the pumps shut off, then you are fine. The checkvalve just adds another complication into the system...and reduces your flow from the pump.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check valves require the mechanism to seal in order to work. However, microbes and other critters such as tube worms and sponges grow just about anywhere, including on valve sealing surfaces. Given this, check valves are much more likely to leak if not outright fail. I’ve never used one and never will.

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check valves require the mechanism to seal in order to work. However, microbes and other critters such as tube worms and sponges grow just about anywhere, including on valve sealing surfaces. Given this, check valves are much more likely to leak if not outright fail. I’ve never used one and never will.

Plus an 1/8 inch hole in your return line at the water line is free and foolproof.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus an 1/8 inch hole in your return line at the water line is free and foolproof.

I respectfully disagree for the same reason: crud growth. I use wide return nozzles placed at the surface because the width minimizes the chance of something small blocking air from getting in. With 3” of nozzle, air will get in somewhere. :)

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can clean that crud growth with a tooth pick. As my water line is typically a half inch below my siphon break, it's pretty simple to see if it's closed and clean it.

Glauber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont need as long ur sump holds the water back , but ur skimmer will overflow its worth to have imo.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back