Do I really need my skimmer in my nano?

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I’ve been running a Tunze 9001 DC in my BioCube. I’ve been running it in the display. It’s getting in the way of flow. I don’t have to empty it very often. In a week the cup is no more than 2cm full. Is it even worth it to take up the real estate? It also impedes flow. What would you do??

Last edited:

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just depends I would take it offline if you don’t want it but would also watch your nutrient levels. Would make sure you keep up water changes and you should be all good!

TankMaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only worry is a reduction in oxygen. If you have strong flow, it should be fine

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers that fit in AIO tanks don't work effectively anyway, so they are just a waste of space IMO.
Ive run my Biocube for a decade without a skimmer.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running my IM Nuvo 20 for three years without a skimmer. Just keep up on water changes, you'll be fine.

I change 5 gallons every Sunday

Skimmers that fit in AIO tanks don't work effectively anyway, so they are just a waste of space IMO.
Ive run my Biocube for a decade without a skimmer.

I’m beginning to wonder this. No matter how I feed and no matter what setting the skimmer is on I get a semi clear liquid, again 1-2cm a week. Nothing more. I just don’t know if it’s worth the space, impact to flow and the ugliness ofit being in the display.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of it and see if theres any change in the tank after a week or 2. worst case scenario you add it back again

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people don't run skimmers in a small nano since regular water changes are often enough to keep nutrients in check and are easy with such small volumes.

Good flow typically provides enough oxygenation if the system has a moderate bioload.

I've run a 12g for over 12 years without a skimmer...

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a successful 60g cube for 22 years without a skimmer. No sump either. Just a HOB filter and a canister. The only things I had trouble with were SPS.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your opinions. I decided since I’m having great success lately except for a small battle with green cyano, I should stick with what’s working. I also recently got the new IceCap CO2 scrubber and idiot me forgot that I need the skimmer in order to be able use the scrubber.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer had a purpose.

if you make it’s purpose no longer or barely needed then you can do it with any equipment.Better to fully understand the workings of all your filter media, then you can decide what or if you have anything redundant or unnecessary.

otherwise when I say I run this 45G with no skimmer without any concern or worries it’s misleading because there’s so much else involved including my feeding schedule that went around my decision to not run a skimmer.

on the reverse, unless you’re specifically fighting to not have a low nutrient system or super clean system then no harm by having it in any means.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back