Do I really need to treat this blue hippo?

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, do I really need to quarantine AND TREAT this fish?

I have been reefing for almost 2 years now never have I quarantined.

yesterday I bought this beautiful blue hippo at the LFS. The fish is currently in a separate tank because everyone recommended I quarantine it because they’re known for ich.

Now I’ve never quarantined a fish but I will if I absolutely must.

The fish looks good, no white spots and is eating. But is hiding a lot I’m assuming its just stressing a bit from all the moving it around.

After staying up and reading online I found out there’s ich, flukes, velvet, and a ton of other stuff I need to worry about… scary stuff

if I do quarantine I have copper power on hand, but I’m not sure if this will take care of all the possibilities. I was also told to use general cure after treating with copper. Is all this really necessary for a healthy looking fish? Or would observing it for a couple of weeks be good enough?

Partially worried because Im not even sure if all the fish in the current display are 100% clean since I’ve never quarantined and I don’t think the previous owner did either. Every one looks and acts healthy. 8F982385-EBAB-4DA5-8BA9-536BB964E112.png

Attachments

• IMG_4190.MOV
    28.6 MB

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s too many diseases to worry about not to quarantine imo. All it takes is one sick fish to kill them all.
The typical qt protocol treats for ich, velvet, and flukes, which are the most common illnesses you’ll see. Copper takes care of velvet and ich, and prazi takes care of flukes.
A fish may never have a disease from the beginning of qt, but it’s well worth ensuring that it doesn’t. Often it doesn’t show until you have the fish home and in the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Quarantine and observe. Do not do partial copper or similar treatments which do more harm than good
You can safely use ruby rally pro as a bath or qt treatment which addresses an array of issues. Fish looks good
I’d refrain from taking pics of fish in the hand as it can both stress them and remove protective slime coat on skin

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically what I’m getting is basically if I don’t qt and treat for possible issues I’m taking a risk. One I would rather not take.

Quarantine and observe. Do not do partial copper or similar treatments which do more harm than good
You can safely use ruby rally pro as a bath or qt treatment which addresses an array of issues. Fish looks good
I’d refrain from taking pics of fish in the hand as it can both stress them and remove protective slime coat on skin

part of my worry is putting a perfectly healthy fish through all those medications without any need. But like everyone says there’s no way to tell for sure even if it’s not showing signs

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's possible to capture from the display. Ya sure release to your display. If you have concerns for either fish health or the fact you wouldn't be able to capture and treat than I'd qt for 3-5 days minimum. Watch. observe. Keep light down and let the fish settle to your water.
D

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's possible to capture from the display. Ya sure release to your display. If you have concerns for either fish health or the fact you wouldn't be able to capture and treat than I'd qt for 3-5 days minimum. Watch. observe. Keep light down and let the fish settle to your water.
D
If I placed the new fish in the DT, and it did happen to be carrying something. Then wouldn’t it infect my entire tank? If that’s the case what does capturing the fish matter?

Like I said fish looks healthy to me. But again I’m no expert. The blue hippo came from a LFS and it was in a group of at least 20 other baby hippos

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your fish are healthy in your display and so is the fish you just got what's the problem ? Lol
D
Looking healthy and being healthy are two different things unfortunately

That is your call but I would QT it. Just because you do not see any white spots does not mean that the fish is healthy.
as this gentleman and others have warned me

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drop it in your DT and forget about it!
Drop it in and pray!
Extremely tempted to, but I want to at least observe for a week or two to make sure everything looks ok at least before the final transfer. Figured I’d ask for everyone’s thoughts on the matter in the meanwhile.

if I do end up treating, I will most likely end up only using copper power, since it’s what I have. 30 days then straight into DT after

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, do I really need to quarantine AND TREAT this fish?

I have been reefing for almost 2 years now never have I quarantined.

yesterday I bought this beautiful blue hippo at the LFS. The fish is currently in a separate tank because everyone recommended I quarantine it because they’re known for ich.

Now I’ve never quarantined a fish but I will if I absolutely must.

The fish looks good, no white spots and is eating. But is hiding a lot I’m assuming its just stressing a bit from all the moving it around.

After staying up and reading online I found out there’s ich, flukes, velvet, and a ton of other stuff I need to worry about… scary stuff

if I do quarantine I have copper power on hand, but I’m not sure if this will take care of all the possibilities. I was also told to use general cure after treating with copper. Is all this really necessary for a healthy looking fish? Or would observing it for a couple of weeks be good enough?

Partially worried because Im not even sure if all the fish in the current display are 100% clean since I’ve never quarantined and I don’t think the previous owner did either. Every one looks and acts healthy. 8F982385-EBAB-4DA5-8BA9-536BB964E112.png
Our basic QT protocol is posted in the sticky section at the top of the fish disease forum.

Off the cuff, 95% of the problems we see here stem from non-quarantined fish.

Will non-quarantined fish always get sick? No.

Will quarantine eliminate all diseases?
No - only about 80% effective.

Do I quarantine my own fish?
Always!

Jay

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a pic I just snagged, fed it and it ate pretty well. Seems to be coming out a bit more, still rushes to hide as soon as it sees me though

Attachments

• 43EB63A2-288E-4900-AAE9-ABA1F8389B16.jpeg
    43EB63A2-288E-4900-AAE9-ABA1F8389B16.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 26
  • BC2CA923-2B0D-4601-93A8-70F46FFF0264.jpeg
    BC2CA923-2B0D-4601-93A8-70F46FFF0264.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 28

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So basically what I’m getting is basically if I don’t qt and treat for possible issues I’m taking a risk. One I would rather not take.

part of my worry is putting a perfectly healthy fish through all those medications without any need. But like everyone says there’s no way to tell for sure even if it’s not showing signs
To clarify . . . Quarantine prevents foreign substance and issues from occurring before fish reach display tank. In addition, the quarantine process allows treatment of common disease and parasites within a controlled environment, reduces the stress of acclimation, reduces costs by reducing fish mortality, allows you easy observation of new fish in case of disease as mentioned and reduces the cost of medication opposed to medicating an entire display tank.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not too sure I’m understanding the post . Worried about quarantining new fish for possible disease but holding it in your hand could potentially cause more harm than good ?

if it’s in your dt along with other fish that have not been through quarantine , I vote add to display with the other non medicated fish and cross your fingers .
I once was against quarantining fish or corals .
Now every coral gets dipped , fish are added to qt and observed prior to entering my dt .
All it takes is one sick fish that is unknown . The lfs keep their tanks hyposalinty for a reason ( to hide parasites and diseases !

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Difference between qt and a hospital tank. Lol.
I myself don't qt and I myself agree that looking healthy and being healthy are two different things. I am not a vet. Lol. Nor a fish dr. or expert. Lol. And don't pretend to be.
I was just giving my advice and opinion.
D

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Difference between qt and a hospital tank. Lol.
I myself don't qt and I myself agree that looking healthy and being healthy are two different things. I am not a vet. Lol. Nor a fish dr. or expert. Lol. And don't pretend to be.
I was just giving my advice and opinion.
D

and it is very much appreciated!

as is everyone else’s!!

leaning towards just observing for a week or two and then just transferring him to the DT. Especially since all other inhabitants are untreated. Don’t think it makes much sense putting this baby through all that medication, to then be placed into the unknown

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back