Do I thaw my mysis shrimp and throw away the fluids or not

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I thaw my mysis shrimp and throw away the fluids or not. I have heard both arguments....some say to thaw and throw away the fluid as the fluid causes phosphates, other say feed the fluid as well as it feeds the corals reducing the need for phosphate rich roids etc. Could I get some experienced thoughts on this please guys?

Thanks

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my main reef tank I pre- rinse thawed mysis. In my seahorse & LPS softie tanks, I don’t bother: seahorses. are messy eaters that blow clouds of uneaten food into the tank and the softies seem to love the small particles

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thaw mysis and discard excess fluid.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I strain mine just because I don’t like the juice in my aquarium, I will blow it on Zoanthids and stuff in an attempt to feed them but I only do that when I’m about to change water because of nutrients

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brs had a video about food recently. Said it was a waste of time to thaw, drain, and discard the mysis water. I just thaw it and toss it in the tank now.

If you are already waiting for food to thaw, it literally takes a few extra seconds to dump or use a pipette to suck off the excess water.

wmchaseb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are already waiting for food to thaw, it literally takes a few extra seconds to dump or use a pipette to suck off the excess water.
Right I use to do that, but they say the nutrients in the water is so little its a waste of time. So why continue to do it?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right I use to do that, but they say the nutrients in the water is so little its a waste of time. So why continue to do it?

Whether or not its necessary is debatable, I just find the waste of time argument pretty weak given it takes almost no time at all provided you are already waiting for the food to thaw before adding to tank. I can understand that it might not be necessary at all though.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don’t throw away the excess fluids since I soak mysis shrimp in vitamins.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t throw away the excess fluids since I soak mysis shrimp in vitamins.
Fair to wonder just how much of those vitamins are being soaked up when the mysis is already saturated with juice/water?

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here I am dumping the tiny bit of liquid at the bottom at the end into the tank for more nutrients. it doesn't even fill the teaspoon halfway usually (1 cube worth). I'm trying to raise my N03 and Po4 averages currently though..

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair to wonder just how much of those vitamins are being soaked up when the mysis is already saturated with juice/water?

Exactly why I leave it and pour all the water in with it. The vitamins have instructions for broadcast dosing them into the water column too. I figure at least this way I am getting the benefit of one or the other.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40G tank with only 5 small fish.
My nutrients seem to stay in check.
My nitrates are .25ppm and my phosphates are .03ppm.

I don't even feed a cube per day. in fact, a cube last me about 3 days. I slice a cube into thirds and feed a slice per day.

considering how little I feed, and how low my nutrients are, I don't bother rinsing/draining anything.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just throw it in frozen in both my systems, I always have.

There was an experiment done (you will need search for it but maybe BRS as already said) but it’s makes hardly any difference to nutrient levels

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do remove the liquid but as mentioned above me , study showed po4 was negligible.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the cheap condiment squeeze bottles from walmart. I dump in about 6 different cubes and some rods or other food. I freeze 6-8 bottles, just cubes. When I need one, I add ato water and let it thaw. I used to just squirt in what I needed for that feeding (a bottle lasts apporx. 2 days). Lately, I've been pouring out 2/3's of water--straining it for the small foods that sort of float. Then add more ato water so I'm taking some of the po4 out as I feed heavily 2x's a day. The strained bits go in.

Note: I used to thaw but that many cubes, it was hard to get the food all back into the squeeze container. Too much trouble. And what I've researched said don't bother

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thaw with a small amount of RODI then dump it in my two tanks. I use the Hikiri frozen cubes. When I have to get the Petco frozen food in an emergency I'll try to discard as much liquid as possible.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back