Do I thaw my mysis shrimp and throw away the fluids or not

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the cheap condiment squeeze bottles from walmart. I dump in about 6 different cubes and some rods or other food. I freeze 6-8 bottles, just cubes. When I need one, I add ato water and let it thaw. I used to just squirt in what I needed for that feeding (a bottle lasts apporx. 2 days). Lately, I've been pouring out 2/3's of water--straining it for the small foods that sort of float. Then add more ato water so I'm taking some of the po4 out as I feed heavily 2x's a day. The strained bits go in.

Note: I used to thaw but that many cubes, it was hard to get the food all back into the squeeze container. Too much trouble. And what I've researched said don't bother
consider thawing in salt water vs fresh. weird thing but it seems thawing in fresh water makes em mushy and maybe a lil more buoyant. Do a side by side, its not that big of deal tho

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on which mysis you’re asking about. The hikari stuff is pretty clean and I don’t bother. The PE mysis generates a lot of oil and particulate that messes with my skimmer so I do rinse it.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 4 cubes of San Francisco Bay variety. The 4 cubes last about 3 days between two tanks and two feedings a day. I use tank water to thaw and don't rinse. My nutrients are stable and don't change much. I store the unused food and water in sealed container in fridge.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never thawed nor threw away the juice from any frozen food.

I break a chunk off, and thaw in the tank between 2 fingers.

I find it odd how everyone pours off the juice, and fine particles, but then spot feed corals. Why not leave the juice and fine particles in it so it can feed your corals?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it odd how everyone pours off the juice, and fine particles, but then spot feed corals. Why not leave the juice and fine particles in it so it can feed your corals?

Everyone LOL. I do not.

Clanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just throw complete cubes in, the fish go into a proper fenzy and cube gets broke down into sizes everything can eat including the shrimp , occasionally I will turkey baste the blennies as they are very lazy and don't seem to get anything hiding away in their holes ,including my engineers ,and cardinals don't like flake for some reason ..but I'm with others the very small particulates must get munched by corals in the water column ?

Clanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never thawed nor threw away the juice from any frozen food.

I break a chunk off, and thaw in the tank between 2 fingers.

I'm with you on this but just leave the cube yo float and the fish attack it ,gives them something to do ha ha

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with you on this but just leave the cube yo float and the fish attack it ,gives them something to do ha ha
My only issue with this is I leave my pumps and sump running while I feed(let the fish chase their food like they would in the wild, and let them get some much needed exercise), if I just threw in a cube/chunk of frozen, it would sit next to the overflow while it thawed pushing everything down the overflow.

Great Idea though if you shut off your return.

Clanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only issue with this is I leave my pumps and sump running while I feed(let the fish chase their food like they would in the wild, and let them get some much needed exercise), if I just threw in a cube/chunk of frozen, it would sit next to the overflow while it thawed pushing everything down the overflow.

Great Idea though if you shut off your return.
Got you , mine just blast around the top with the wave maker, its like fish do football ha ha

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a revived older thread, but I just wanted to point out that folks throwing away the fluid may be inadvertently causing potassium to decline in their aquaria. Potassium is usually internal to cells, freezing releases it, and then it gets thrown away.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broadcast feed the fluids, my tank is chronically low-nutrient thanks to my gha monstrosity of a refeugium so it dosent make a difference for me.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a revived older thread, but I just wanted to point out that folks throwing away the fluid may be inadvertently causing potassium to decline in their aquaria. Potassium is usually internal to cells, freezing releases it, and then it gets thrown away.
Thats... not what I have observed. I don't know if it's due to the lack of potassium users but I dose =>.5 ml daily (tank is 120 gallons - rock + sump) and it tested out to ~460...

Malum Argenteum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a revived older thread, but I just wanted to point out that folks throwing away the fluid may be inadvertently causing potassium to decline in their aquaria.
Measurably? I can't imagine that's the case, given the levels of K in saltwater and how much cellular fluid we're talking about.

If K in the system is measurably affected by mysis fluid, I would think that N and P would also be to very roughly the same degree, and those are in SW at levels that are about 10x-100x less than that of K (so, the argument not to add the fluid to the tank is much stronger).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats... not what I have observed. I don't know if it's due to the lack of potassium users but I dose =>.5 ml daily (tank is 120 gallons - rock + sump) and it tested out to ~460...

Not sure why yours would be high, but presumably you are adding it somehow? Or the test is off.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I thaw my mysis shrimp and throw away the fluids or not. I have heard both arguments....some say to thaw and throw away the fluid as the fluid causes phosphates, other say feed the fluid as well as it feeds the corals reducing the need for phosphate rich roids etc. Could I get some experienced thoughts on this please guys?

Thanks
I thaw 3 or 4 cubes in advance, by soaking in RO water in the fridge. This gives me food for a few days. No rinsing.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back