Do led lighting companies have to pay a license fee?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how many people were around when what I'm asking occurred so I may not get an answer. Back when everyone was running T5s and halides a company came out with a led light fixture, one that fit all the way across the tank. I don't remember their brand name. I believe they were the first to commercially do it, everything else seemed to be DIY. After about a year I read that they are being sued for patent infringement. Apparently someone/company had gotten a patent for a led light over an aquarium. It seemed to be all encompassing and they won the suit and the led company went under. As far as I know the company with the patent never actually made a product and were just asking for license fees. That made me wonder if all these led lights out today are having to pay that company a license fee. Or am I remembering all this incorrectly and there never was a license fee that had to be paid?

Kazumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this does exist, they probably get around it by manufacturing the light in China, since it seems that nothing much gets enforced there.

OP
OP
Opus

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this does exist, they probably get around it by manufacturing the light in China, since it seems that nothing much gets enforced there.
They would still get sued here for selling them. Apple gets sued all the time for patent infringement. There is actually a suit right now for something on the watch that it looks like they may lose the case.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are remember correctly. There was a massive thread on RC about it but it was years ago. I’m thinking 2007/2008 maybe. Now I’ll have to go look for it lol

OP
OP
Opus

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are remember correctly. There was a massive thread on RC about it but it was years ago. I’m thinking 2007/2008 maybe. Now I’ll have to go look for it lol
Hard to believe it was that long ago. I just remember it sounded like anyone making a led light for an aquarium would have to pay them license fees.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PFO Solaris

PFO was the company name

Solaris was the light model name

PFO was the top US MH mfg for reef along with sunlight supply.

PFO got sued but I don't think you can blame their downfall on the lawsuit.

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found it! Looks like 2009

PFO lighting closed it's doors on Friday because a long battle with an Aerospace company, Orbitec, who owns a patent on lighting aquariums with LEDs.
This doesn't only affect PFO. Every company that makes LEDs for an aquarium will be affected. If Orbitec wins the case, there is nothing stopping them from sueing other companies like Current, Aqua Illuminators, AquaFX, etc. All of which make a LED in some form.

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is that they didn’t win but the thread just kind of died without ever finding out the actual result of the case it seems

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recollection is that the lawsuit was dismissed but legal fees hit PFO pretty hard.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PFO missed out on T5 and the Solaris wasn't a Radion level game changer so it prob just accelerated their exit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Opus

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recollection is that the lawsuit was dismissed but legal fees hit PFO pretty hard.
The beginning of the thread mentions that PFO had already laid off their entire staff. If they went under I guess it would be hard to keep the case going. Not sure if that would automatically mean a victory verdict for the patent company that others would have to abide by.

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol well technically we do have cheap LEDs but I don’t remember the cost of PFO fixtures. But brand name LED is quite high

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In fairness LED units with the same features as the Solaris are pretty cheap now.

I remember that hitting PFO pretty hard as well. Chinese black box units started arriving almost immediately and the Solaris wasn't as programmable as today's units.

Solaris was like $1200 for a 3-4' unit and the black boxes were $300.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The beginning of the thread mentions that PFO had already laid off their entire staff. If they went under I guess it would be hard to keep the case going. Not sure if that would automatically mean a victory verdict for the patent company that others would have to abide by.

If you look up the case, the judge threw it out.

It's debatable how connected the layoffs were to the lawsuit.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you can patent a type of light over a type of object.

Can I patent placing an LED light over a couch?

OP
OP
Opus

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol well technically we do have cheap LEDs but I don’t remember the cost of PFO fixtures. But brand name LED is quite high

True. It still amazes me that no one seems to blink an eye at throwing down a couple of thousand for lighting. Back in the early 2000s it seemed most reefers were penny pinchers. Now I guess it is just a different crowd getting into the hobby. Ones with a lot more disposable income.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 73 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back