Do led lighting companies have to pay a license fee?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah another thread with sweeping generalizations.

12 feet of tanks lit for less than a couple thousand. At 18 feet I will hit $2500.

OP
OP
Opus

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah another thread with sweeping generalizations.

12 feet of tanks lit for less than a couple thousand. At 18 feet I will hit $2500.
Maybe you are generalizing that you are the norm?

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you can patent a type of light over a type of object.

Can I patent placing an LED light over a couch?

Here is a patent for an LED light over an aquarium.

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. It still amazes me that no one seems to blink an eye at throwing down a couple of thousand for lighting. Back in the early 2000s it seemed most reefers were penny pinchers. Now I guess it is just a different crowd getting into the hobby. Ones with a lot more disposable income.
Us penny pinchers are still here and were not happy that you newbies are content to spend $$$$$$$ ;-)

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth -- orbitech exited as well.

The patent is still valid and was assigned to SNC.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several years ago I was talking to an LED Light Manufacturer and Distributor. They told me one of their competitor’s was going out of business. They didn’t properly identify which fixtures had Cree LED’s in them, and the lawsuit overwhelmed them. I heard they were working on a UV Germicidal LED that had a life of over 50,000 hours, never heard what the outcome was. Would outperform any Fluorescent tube in admittance.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth -- orbitech exited as well.

The patent is still valid and was assigned to SNC.
"It's dead Jim"

2020-10-26 FEPP Fee payment procedure
Free format text: MAINTENANCE FEE REMINDER MAILED (ORIGINAL EVENT CODE: REM.); ENTITY STATUS OF PATENT OWNER: LARGE ENTITY

2021-04-12 LAPS Lapse for failure to pay maintenance fees
Free format text: PATENT EXPIRED FOR FAILURE TO PAY MAINTENANCE FEES (ORIGINAL EVENT CODE: EXP.); ENTITY STATUS OF PATENT OWNER: LARGE ENTITY

2021-04-12 STCH Information on status: patent discontinuation
Free format text: PATENT EXPIRED DUE TO NONPAYMENT OF MAINTENANCE FEES UNDER 37 CFR 1.362

2021-05-04 FP Lapsed due to failure to pay maintenance fee
Effective date: 20210305

Maybe...
If a patent has lapsed due to the owner's failure to pay maintenance fees, the patent may still be revived for up to two years after the lapse, if the delay in paying the fees was unintentional

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is interesting. I should have looked at the patent wrapper. Nice catch. I suspect that Sierra Nevada gave up on it. It is not really in their "space". Maybe they shot the patent into space with one of their rockets? I suspect the original company may have had an engineer working with LEDs who was a reefer and suggested it. It was actually a pretty encompassing patent for the reef community. I remember when that thread came out. A lot of us were playing around with DIY LEDs. By the time SN got it, there was probably just too much on the market to pursue. They probably make more on one rocket than they would with one LED law suit.

Kodak made a killing on its application of the charge coupled device used to create digital pictures... In many regards, not much different.

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Ecotech parent is very detailed. In general this is not a good thing for a patent. You only need to not do one "thing" they are claiming and get around the patent and not pay royalties to the patent holder.

I would believe most of the IP for big reef lighting companies is retained in thier software algorithms. Sure the assembly of thier light can hold some IP, but there are many ways to place LEDs
in a box.

jez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as I recall it the industry slowly got the Orbital patent torn down. It was very much one of those patent Troll companies. Their legal team created a wide range of patents none related to anything they ever made. Their intention was to pressure the little guys into royalty to prove validity and acceptance of their IP. Then ratchet up.

The Industry does have to pay Phillips fee's on all fixtures sold as they bought a company whose name escapes me who was one of the largest patent holders outside of Cree on Led's.

So to some it the would seem the Phillips Coral care light is a somewhat cynical corporate play. As they know the number of units sold from the patent fees they extract so decided to adapt one of their fixtures as a reef light to leverage into that market.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PFO missed out on T5 and the Solaris wasn't a Radion level game changer so it prob just accelerated their exit.

Technology wasn't the same back then. Need to put things into perspective.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is amusing reading a thread that old. So many saying we would have cheap led lights in a few years. Wonder what they would say now when people are paying $1000 to $2000 for leds.

They are probably wondering why people today pay that much for a 1/4" coral frag with made up names...

OP
OP
Opus

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are probably wondering why people today pay that much for a 1/4" coral frag with made up names...
You don't even have to make up names now. I see "gold torch" going for more than the named torches. Same with hammers. I was just really musing on the fact of how much all the aquarium equipment now costs. I guess it is just a different generation with more disposable income. Back when I started most people were complaining about how much a halide setup cost. Now it seems like it is nothing for someone to put several thousand into their tank before they ever add water.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back