Do melted PVC still leak toxin after dried?

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I tried to DIY Clove Nozzle using this guide : .
But in the event of doing it, i accidentally burnt some part of the pvc, though i did scrap off those burnt part, rinse & wash it.

Currently it is on drying process. After it dried, does it still able to release toxin under water?

Thanks

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know but in my 125 gallon tank most of the "rocks" I built have melted PVC skeletons. Tank is running fifty years so far. Maybe in 51 years there will be a problem. :cool:

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know but in my 125 gallon tank most of the "rocks" I built have melted PVC skeletons. Tank is running fifty years so far. Maybe in 51 years there will be a problem. :cool:
Mines only been going for 35 or so, so I should have a little time yet!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, this is really cool....I'm liking it. Now, not concerned about toxins in the water...shouldn't be an issue...HOWEVER, I would highly suggest that you DO NOT use open flame to melt and form the PVC. When PVC burns, it releases chlorine gas, which immediately forms hydrochloric acid when it contacts moisture.....your eyes, mouth, nose. Please, please, please, use a heat gun....real cheap at Harbor Freight. I know this first hand having extruded a particular PVC where the melt temperature was close to the flash point. You want to see operators clear the extrusion room super fast....and this was with an automatic fire suppression system over the die head, with a high velocity exhaust system.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heated Schedule 80 PVC up with a Heat Gun and bent it, and not had a problem. If you decide to do this, go to a hardware and get a spring that just fits inside the pipe, to prevent it from collapsing and crimping at the bend. Also a HVAC or Plumbing Supply will have a complete assortment of springs. Also did you know Schedule 80 can be Threaded? A pipe fitter or plumber can thread the pipe. The Die must be broken in, not new. Use a strong mixture of dish soap as the lubricant. Rinse the Dies in water afterwards, and spray with WD-40, so they won’t rust.

OP
OP
foxngn

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noted on the warning, shall never attempt again, i only burnt it under a minute, i didn't inhale anything nor having any sensation of burning or so. Once i had bended it, i rinse the whole things under water and dried it outdoor.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To late. ;Vomit

Thanks for reminding me Paul.....one other effect of flame melting PVC:

Before flame melting:

Paul B Hair.jpg

After flame melting:

Paul B Bald.jpg

:oops::eek:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see absolutely no difference in those 2 pictures except I dress better in the older one and I decided to have my hair stop growing. :D

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW - When I am trying to custom form pvc, I use sand on the inside to give it support.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bathe in Prizapro. :D

Back