Do montipora loose color during shipping like acropora do?

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I order this intense red monti :

Intense Red Montipora Digitata_frag_farm.jpg

With the following quote:
"Most red digitata are nice but this morph seems to be supercharged and exhibits incredibly strong colour being more pink at the top and deep red throughout the body. We grow these in our acropora frag systems so it will take strong light and strong flow."

This is what turned up:
IMG_20210127_125336.jpg

Its the same frag but looks nothing like the picture, hardly a hint of red! I use T5 lighting but things like Red Planet are still red in my system.

Has it just lost color due to shipping or have I been conned? Not very happy at the moment.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

"Most red digitata are nice but this morph seems to be supercharged and exhibits incredibly strong colour being more pink at the top and deep red throughout the body. We grow these in our acropora frag systems so it will take strong light and strong flow."

This is what turned up:
IMG_20210127_125336.jpg

Its the same frag but looks nothing like the picture, hardly a hint of red! I use T5 lighting but things like Red Planet are still red in my system.

Has it just lost color due to shipping or have I been conned? Not very happy at the moment.
Honestly 16 to 20 hours overnight in a box is not going to cause anything to loose any color upon arrival. Ive never understood why people would often say that. Yea maybe a few days or weeks from now could possibly loose some color.

Looks like they used a gel filter under heavy blue light with a low exposure. Just like the brown acro next to it looks red. Either way the color red is still there, I'd give it a while and you'll prob end up coloring it better then they had

OP
OP
The Opinionated Reefer

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly 16 to 20 hours overnight in a box is not going to cause anything to loose any color upon arrival. Ive never understood why people would often say that. Yea maybe a few days or weeks from now could possibly loose some color.

Looks like they used a gel filter under heavy blue light with a low exposure. Just like the brown acro next to it looks red. Either way the color red is still there, I'd give it a while and you'll prob end up coloring it better then they had
I have had acro's that lost all color overnight in a bag and took several months to color up.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is what turned up:
IMG_20210127_125336.jpg

This has happened to me way too many times. But not to worry, just make sure they are getting good flow and maybe keep them at a lower light and gradually raise them higher. Also check for any other stressors such as pests. If all checks out, you should start seeing recovery and their colours bouncing back within a week.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is what turned up:
IMG_20210127_125336.jpg

Also, looking at the frag the coral looks stressed. Its polyps are drawn in and so is its flesh. Looking at its base, the lack on encrusting tells me this coral was fragged quite recently which may add to the stress.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd give it some more time, but yeah, it doesn't look like the pic.
Ahh also another important thing, never trust the picture 100%, it’s almost certain the photo is edited and enhanced. But then again, this is inevitable when purchasing online.

Back