Do New Born Babies Sleep in a King Size Bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

aereaus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad analogy. Humans are not fish. Secondarily, I am not sure what the purpose of this post is. Are you looking for people to make you feel better about your choice in fish or to defend yourself and explain your position on stocking your tank? Listen, sure there are some mean spirited people who will talk down to you based on your livestock choices and others like myself who simply see it as irresponsible. At the end of the day we are all accountable for the decisions we make regarding our tanks. I encourage you to put forethought into your stocking as much as possible, everyone seems to think theyll be the exception to whatever guideline theyre breaking. 99% of the time they are wrong and guess who pays the price? The fish or coral.

If you were expecting a lot of positivity on the post you may have forgotten where you posted -- this is a community of marine enthusiasts who have sacrificed LOADS of money to give their fish and corals a proper home.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP and I have different motivators, but basically he's talking doing what I already do. He plans to grow them up and give them away to someone with a larger tank. I grow them up and move them to my own larger tank.

Are your tanks part of the same overall system? Or would you be transfer to different water with different parameters. I guess if you think about it and it stays within the same system its not that bad. The only stress on the fish should be getting him out and maybe stress of being in a bigger tank with bigger fish. I think its when you destroy your tank trying to get the fish out, putting it in a bucket of water that will drop in temp and then have to raise it back up, and the different water parms that really stresses the fish to no end. Im not too sure i have a problem with that. A fish in the ocean prolly has way more stress daily wondering if its going to get eaten by a bigger fish.

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i understand how you feel about this subject and im sure you understand how I feel, i wrote this thread to hear the opinions from both sides but more importantly to meet many hobbiest that agree with me on thinking that process is ok, i have no intention on changing your mind, i wish i could take a poll on how many hobbiest agree with me, i got a chance to see alot on this thread that do as well as a lot that dont, however in my opinion there by far are more people on my side that dont just put chromis and damsels in there almost 2,000 fish tanks and if indeed thats the only fish they could keep in there tank they wouldnt be in the hobby
once peoples minds are made it up, generally there is no changing it. If i came off rude at all in any previous posts that was not my intention. I myself am new to the hobby, i just don't see rotating fish in and out of an aquarium in the manner you stated as a logical healthy way to care/keep fish or consider it a hobby. Again, this is just my opinion. Good luck with the tank

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO we all here can agree to disagree and disagree to agree............ hey wait a sec........?!?!

no-comment-but-dyue0d.jpg

OP
OP
David Jones

David Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for your reply, this is the type of advice i like to see from someone who may not agree with my practices however still encourages new hobbiest to go learn and experiment but your trying to be helpful from your experience, not once did i feel an ounce of negativity with the aproach of your response, rather i received a reply that i respect comes from alot of years of experience and from a perspective that your looking out for me as the hobbiest and not just the fish, i also love the fact that you acknowlwdged that people saying you cant keep a tang in a 60 gallon is not realistic. I plan on having a fish only tank so i need to learn more about the consequences of a tank crashing with a fish only tank besides the fish dieing, can you just do a water change and add new fish, thats something im curious to understand better,which you shed light on, so thank you very much

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have any saltwater experience at all? or are you starting literally from the ground up?

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If putting these fish in a larger tank helps you sleep at night, good for you, personally im not gonna lose any sleep keeping these fish for 6 months and swapping them out for juveniles with my LFS, the average person in this hobby does not have a 300 gallon tank.. and you are the type of individual that discourages people participating in the hobby, i spent 1,600 dollars on my 60 gallon cube set up ,if you think people spend that type of money and only want to put damsels in the tank thats crazy, also who says all coral/ fish come from the wild, some are captive bred.. trust me i put the thread up expecting to hear harsh opinions like yourself but saying i dont deserve the hobby, who are you to decide that, and who are you to use a forum to support that hobby to tell people they shouldnt practice what they want, like i said earlier educate new people to the hobby but dont discourage them to experiment within the hobby, cause if thats the case you should be standing outside of the atlanta aquarium right now with posters protesting the whale sharks they have in captivity. Do you protest seaworld too, if you actually read the thread you would see that i was thankful for the opinions from both sides

I'm not discouraging anyone. I am standing up for the lives of the fish, corals, and inverts we take in.

I don't care if you spend 10,000 on a tank, if you don't take care of what you have it means nothing.

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought if a fish died i would just go out and replace it like a gold fish, i cant tell you how many fish my parents replaced while i was at school because they died, i guess i dont get the emotional connection to fish, to me there more like living decorations that i have to feed, i cant wrap my head around considering them family like my dog
I get up every morning go over to my babies and say 'good morning' and after I prepare their breakfast and begin to feed them I have a chat with them asking them how their evening was and asking if the hermits behaved themselves and I do the same in the evening. When my Ms. Bubbles was being naughty I sat and had a conversation with her about it. Yep, I sure did! Hubby thought I lost my mind but to me they are really no different than any other person/animal in my house! They might not understand me or care that I am talking to them but it is my way of making them a part of my family!

Edit: I have BC 29 and would never buy a fish that was NOT appropriate for my tank size!!! Just like I wouldn't move my son's room to the closet.

...will now be walking away from this thread

Last edited:

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get up every morning go over to my babies and say 'good morning' and after I prepare their breakfast and begin to feed them I have a chat with them asking them how their evening was and asking if the hermits behaved themselves and I do the same in the evening. When my Ms. Bubbles was being naughty I sat and had a conversation with her about it. Yep, I sure did! Hubby thought I lost my mind but to me they are really no different than any other person/animal in my house! They might not understand me or care that I am talking to them but it is my way of making them a part of my family!

Edit: I have BC 29 and would never buy a fish that was NOT appropriate for my tank size!!! Just like I wouldn't move my son's room to the closet.

I love you, @helen!

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love ya too @michellejy !!!
Just call me the crazy fish lady!
Yep, I get way to attached and probably shouldn't but how can you not?!?!?
They have such wonderful personalities and even though Ms Bubble is as naughty as they come I love her too! Even though if she could talk she would say ... 'hmmmmm, really, how can that be when you are always fussing at me'! :rolleyes:

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love ya too @michellejy !!!
Just call me the crazy fish lady!
Yep, I get way to attached and probably shouldn't but how can you not?!?!?
They have such wonderful personalities and even though Ms Bubble is as naughty as they come I love her too! Even though if she could talk she would say ... 'hmmmmm, really, how can that be when you are always fussing at me'! :rolleyes:

Well, as I have said before, when my 7 1/2 year old clownfish (Black Betty White) died slowly and painfully from brook while I watched helplessly because I couldn't get the meds she needed, I posted about her on facebook. A friend I have known for over 20 years (since we were in middle school together) didn't know I was talking about my fish and called my dad to make sure I was okay.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some of us know what you been through and only if you got our advice sooner it could be a lot different.
Glad you're doing great on you little wonder of the ocean and have all the conversations with your fish , coral and inverts you want as THAT IS the most valuable learning process you can have.

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for your reply, this is the type of advice i like to see from someone who may not agree with my practices however still encourages new hobbiest to go learn and experiment but your trying to be helpful from your experience, not once did i feel an ounce of negativity with the aproach of your response, rather i received a reply that i respect comes from alot of years of experience and from a perspective that your looking out for me as the hobbiest and not just the fish, i also love the fact that you acknowlwdged that people saying you cant keep a tang in a 60 gallon is not realistic. I plan on having a fish only tank so i need to learn more about the consequences of a tank crashing with a fish only tank besides the fish dieing, can you just do a water change and add new fish, thats something im curious to understand better,which you shed light on, so thank you very much

I don't know your set up, aside from your main display tank. Do you have a cycled quarantine set up as well? Many of the fish you are planning are often referred to as "ich magnets." If you get ich in your display tank, it is not a matter of draining the tank and starting over. It is leaving your tank without fish for 11 weeks while the parasite dies because it is in the rocks and sand. If you get ich or velvet or brook and don't have a hospital tank, there won't be any fish to swap out because they will be killed quickly. The fish you bring in from your LFS will be in contact with other, potentially diseased fish. Each new one in your tank adds the risk of wiping out all of your livestock and leaving you looking at an empty glass box for 3 months. That is one of the big reasons most people don't last in this hobby beyond the first year, no matter how much their initial set up cost.

Jonathan Dignon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Modt of you probably have not had a tank for the 20 or so years that these beautiful creatures have the potential to live for inside of an aquarium. There are many factors that go into a fishes health some fishes are more fragile than others. It is our duty as responsibility to provide the best conditions possible for the animals we take from there homes in the ocean and confine to a prison of glass not only for the fishes benefit but the benefit to the next generation.

aereaus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Modt of you probably have not had a tank for the 20 or so years that these beautiful creatures have the potential to live for inside of an aquarium. There are many factors that go into a fishes health some fishes are more fragile than others. It is our duty as responsibility to provide the best conditions possible for the animals we take from there homes in the ocean and confine to a prison of glass not only for the fishes benefit but the benefit to the next generation.
My pair of ocellaris clowns are going on 16 years and still doing awesome!

omykiss001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only problem with the original post is the idea these are just decorative and disposable. Why is your dog so different because it's a mammal? How many would be POed at me if I said well you know it's just a dog and all no need to care for it beyond feeding it. It just a pretty decoration. I like Great Danes, but I take them to the pound once a year when they get to big for my place and just get another puppy I'm sure the pound will find it another home. Really your thinking is no different. I can understand the idea the fish ended up being more aggressive than the species is known for and it's causing undue stress to all inhabitants or started eating items it should not, but it should probably be the exception rather than the rule to dump the animal back to the LFS because we did our homework first and knew the animal should be a good fit to our system or future system. I think when we buy these animals we are signing up to provide the best care for them and do what needs to be done to keep them happy and have as long a life as possible, no different then when we take a dog, cat, hamster, or iguana into our homes. If these animals are just decorative and nothing more why wouldn't you get just as much joy and save yourself a ton of money getting a TV screen the size of the tank you'd like to have and just stream a feed of someone else's tank. Much less work and mess just as pretty and good for the home decor.

Not trying to slam or insult, but I have a bit of a problem when the view is this animal's life is worth nothing and is disposable.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One problem I have with doing this is not knowing that they will indeed be taken care of or put in an appropriate sized tank when taken back to the LFS. The LFS is going to sell them to anyone who wants them.......whether their set up is adequate for the fish or not. As already stated there are many more people with "small" tanks than larger tanks appropriate for the fish in question. What if everyone with a small tank takes this road? Who's to say there will be a home for them that will work. Just seems a little to cavilier to me. I'm glad you take good care of them while in your care, hope you have good luck in finding them good homes when you're through with them.

PS. I've only rehomed one fish to a LFS and I knew it was going in a large tank of one of their maintanence customers. :D

OP
OP
David Jones

David Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not discouraging anyone. I am standing up for the lives of the fish, corals, and inverts we take in.

I don't care if you spend 10,000 on a tank, if you don't take care of what you have it means nothing.

Ok since your sharing your opinion how would you stock a 60 gallon fish only cube?

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish only, my preference tends to go predator fish at that point. They are some of the understated and awesome fish out there. Some don't tend to move much, so there is a possibility for both bottom dwellers and swimmers. However smaller fish like clowns and damsels are out. I understand these guys aren't for everyone, but the conversations created!

You could go with a Mozambique scorp...bottom dweller

Leaf fish...bottom dweller
Cockatoo...bottom dweller
Then for swimmers say a pair or trio of dwarf lions. Say fuzzies or fu. Fuzzies can be had in brown, red, or yellow.

If not scorp. A pair of clowns would be nice, perhaps a version of the ice clowns. Perhaps a blenny of some sort. Perhaps some anthias. Have a cover of some sort and a golden dwarf eel would be cool.

My only point is there are possibilities out there. You don't have to spend a fortune to get them either. If you get some of these fish, especially the scorps, they learn you. They will end up following you when you enter the room, as far as they can. They beg for your attention. It is easy to get attached at that point.

OP
OP
David Jones

David Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only problem with the original post is the idea these are just decorative and disposable. Why is your dog so different because it's a mammal? How many would be POed at me if I said well you know it's just a dog and all no need to care for it beyond feeding it. It just a pretty decoration. I like Great Danes, but I take them to the pound once a year when they get to big for my place and just get another puppy I'm sure the pound will find it another home. Really your thinking is no different. I can understand the idea the fish ended up being more aggressive than the species is known for and it's causing undue stress to all inhabitants or started eating items it should not, but it should probably be the exception rather than the rule to dump the animal back to the LFS because we did our homework first and knew the animal should be a good fit to our system or future system. I think when we buy these animals we are signing up to provide the best care for them and do what needs to be done to keep them happy and have as long a life as possible, no different then when we take a dog, cat, hamster, or iguana into our homes. If these animals are just decorative and nothing more why wouldn't you get just as much joy and save yourself a ton of money getting a TV screen the size of the tank you'd like to have and just stream a feed of someone else's tank. Much less work and mess just as pretty and good for the home decor.

Not trying to slam or insult, but I have a bit of a problem when the view is this animal's life is worth nothing and is disposable.

Ive been waiting for someone with your like mind opinion, So your telling me that when your fish die its as significant as the loss of a dog. Well buddy if your going around sheding tears for lost fish and going to the extent of burying them like your four pawed family member when they pass than your perspective of value for every living organism is right on! However there is a reason people who share my perspective on drawing a line in the sand when it comes to the significance for certain living organisms.

I know my place in the food chain and some of the fish you admire in aquariums ive fished and eating for dinner so excuse me for feeling a lack of compassion for what ever pet fish i put in my tank. So inless your a vegan save me the i do it for the fish speech.

You think Mike Vick would have went to jail for fighting fish! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 57 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back