Do our current plans seem OK?

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I looked and see your in England I have seen others here on this site from there and sure they can point you the right direction

OP
OP
T

tomboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you can look right here. In the for sale area.
I did buy all new to start but have been buying used items since as backup stuff.. especially power heads/ wave makers and I am glad i have because they are so expensive and so far haven't found one I like.
Where do you live?
I'm in the UK, I think most people on here are USA though from what I've seen?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to use RO water for sure but if you can't set up a system, you could purchase it from a LFS. That does result in a lot of carrying and a pain but you need to start out using RO water.

Just a quick note about the scotter blenny. They are very difficult to keep long term which is a shame because they are so cool.

The only other piece of advice that I have is when you think you've researched and read enough, do more :) I am just returning to the hobby and read some articles in the forum that had new information for me (and I was in the hobby a LONG time lol).

You may want to reconsider all dry rock as well. Perhaps supplement with a piece or two of live rock and some rubble.
I have never had any issues keeping scooter blennies long term. Every single one I’ve ever had has readily taken to frozen foods. I’ve kept them for years (even back when I first started 20+ years ago and didn’t test, used tap water, did top-offs 5 gallons at a time on a 55 gallon, etc. - wouldn’t dream of doing any of that now, I’ve learned a lot over the years). Mandarins can be difficult (but not always), but scooter blennies, IME, aren’t a difficult species.

OP
OP
T

tomboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow R2R and any other local reefing sites - they have Marketplace sections. Check reaction scores, previous sales and posts. Always ask why they are selling. Best to get person whose going to a bigger system.

Just like buying a car - it’s research, recommendations, asking questions, and kicking tires. In the end, you can get a great product at a great price.

Recommend buying Apex new because it’s a critical piece of equipment.

Here’s my used RSR 425 XL with used Radion XR30 G5’s and used Water Station/Auto Top Off/Auto Water Change.

49D409F5-EC36-4A33-A455-1AAEAC12D482.jpeg
EF417FE4-8D4F-400F-A6E7-67D0186762C3.jpeg
Don't really know of any local reefing sites to be honest.

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go to the meet and greet section and say hello. You will be surprised people from all over the world I have seen on here

OP
OP
T

tomboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go to the meet and greet section and say hello. You will be surprised people from all over the world I have seen on here
I've said hello on that. No one else said they were from the UK, although I know there are at least some people on here.

OP
OP
T

tomboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do have units. A hook up that can screw onto the kitchen or whatever faucet then just take off and store it.
Like jp said above me it will take up less space then the jugs.
It was actually the first thing I bought when I got back into reefing.
It will be the number 1 thing you will need and come to appreciate after you have it set up. The tank will evaporate water water changes, emergency situations. Every emergency situation almost always need to do a asap water change
You say that they take up less space than jugs, but how do you get water from the RODI to the tank without jugs? The nearest water source to our tank is pretty much the same distance as just bringing water from the front door.

OP
OP
T

tomboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for:

AQUATICLIFE Aquatic Life RO Buddie Plus DI Four Stage Reverse Osmosis Deionization Unit 50 GPD​

It’s a slow system, but it’s cheap (60 bucks on amazon), small, and easily disconnects to store wherever you need to store it.
I've just looked this up and it seems to need mounting to the wall (yeah, it can be taken down, but it still seems to need somewhere to be mounted when in use). If it needs anything mounting the wall, it's a no. People keep saying about not needing all the water containers to move water about, but how am I supposed to get water from the RODI to the tank without the water containers? My water supply is pretty much the other end of the house to where the tank would be.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just looked this up and it seems to need mounting to the wall (yeah, it can be taken down, but it still seems to need somewhere to be mounted when in use). If it needs anything mounting the wall, it's a no. People keep saying about not needing all the water containers to move water about, but how am I supposed to get water from the RODI to the tank without the water containers? My water supply is pretty much the other end of the house to where the tank would be.
It does not need to be mounted anywhere. Mine is sitting on a shelf next to the utility sink.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 36 59.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back