Do people really look closely in the LFS.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my wife waits for me in the car I get her a big cup of Copichino and tell her to call whats her name as you haven't spoken to her in a while.

Then I go in and look under every rock I can find because I rarely want those fish that are out in the open. I want the weird ones, the ones no one wants, the oddballs that the owner doesn't even know he has.
Tangs, angels and all those common fish, they can go to the noobs. :p

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my wife waits for me in the car I get her a big cup of Copichino and tell her to call whats her name as you haven't spoken to her in a while.

Then I go in and look under every rock I can find because I rarely want those fish that are out in the open. I want the weird ones, the ones no one wants, the oddballs that the owner doesn't even know he has.
Paul I think you need a pair of dwarf angels and see them spawn in your tank. One of the pygmy species like C. Argi or C.Acanthrops. :p

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No angels for me. I will leave them in heaven. ;)

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had him.almost 3 weeks now. Here ya go just took this pic. He ain't shy anymore. BTW he has yellow/gold tips to his tail fin.
20201028_200735.jpg
BTW. This tang cost me £30 about 25 of your US dollars.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I've been looking for one of those for a long time.
Live Aquaria has had a few (as well as some really nice assessor basslets) come through divers den recently if you can't find any locally

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my Thompson's tang that way. It wasn't listed on the glass, and when I walked by the first time, I didn't even notice it. Then I saw a tang peak out that I hadn't seen before. I had to ask the clerk what it was. They aren't the most flashy tangs, but you just don't see them too often. So that is why I had to have it. Now it is one of the gang and definitely active and not shy.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No angels!!!!!!
A harem of angel is the most beautiful and interesting fish there is.

OrionN, they are beautiful and yours look very "happy" and healthy. I just find angels and tangs just to common for me. I have had many of them over the years but now I go for odder, more rare fish.

I see mostly tangs and angels in dealers tanks but have only seen Janss pipefish twice and that red fish I posted, never. I have and had fish for years and never knew what they were. Thats what I go for now. :)

But I know I am in the vast minority. I don't go for beautiful any more unless I am talking about a Supermodel. Now I want weird, rare or difficult. :D

JohnnyBeagle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You made me go to Petco and watch the tiny little sick fish.

It's all I got.
and I needed some cat food anyway.
My Petco is great if you go on Sunday morning, right after they've gotten their weekly delivery. Prices are sometimes half or less of what my LFS wants and fish go in quarantine anyway. Got a lightning maroon pair for $20/fish because they wrote down the SKU for a maroon clownfish instead of the $35 lightning maroon price recently

They've also started carrying huge LTA and condy anemones for $45 and $15. Might grab another LTA this weekend

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OrionN, they are beautiful and yours look very "happy" and healthy. I just find angels and tangs just to common for me. I have had many of them over the years but now I go for odder, more rare fish.

I see mostly tangs and angels in dealers tanks but have only seen Janss pipefish twice and that red fish I posted, never. I have and had fish for years and never knew what they were. Thats what I go for now. :)

But I know I am in the vast minority. I don't go for beautiful any more unless I am talking about a Supermodel. Now I want weird, rare or difficult. :D
I chased rare and difficult all my life. For me it is the anemones. I only look for rare and difficult that last a long time. I stop chasing rare Flasher Wrasse because they only last 5 years. No 500+ dollars fish that last 5 years for me. No more.
It took me 10+ years to be able to get nice healthy Gigantea. $1000.00 dollars Gigantea will last forever if I treat him right.

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest with you when I go to my local fish store I spend hours in there my wife sits in the car glaring at me I come out and get in that she just rude to me for the rest of the night LOL
Your fault for bringing here. How would you feel if you had to go shopping with her for clothes? You 100% would be the same way. Welcome to my life!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel unfortunately that all anemones live forever and I have a hard time getting them out of my tank. I have 3 large anemones in my tank now and I don't know where they came from. I know it was one tiny one at one time. All three of them take up about a quarter of my tank and thank God they are mostly in the back because there is no room for them. They are cheap, common anemones and not that interesting except to my clownfish.

If I could get them out, I would give them away.

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's why I look up close, to see what pests can be seen. That will tell me if I'm there to shop or get the heck out.

I currently have 0 fish and love it. If my wife goes to the LFS with me, she's quick to say let's get that fish.....
I just don't want fish right now. I told her, what's wrong with snails and coral?hahahaha

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest with you when I go to my local fish store I spend hours in there my wife sits in the car glaring at me I come out and get in that she just rude to me for the rest of the night LOL

That's why I won't take my kids or wife with me anymore. They rush me into bad decisions because everyone is frustrated with me lol

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my wife goes shopping I leave her there and go someplace else. If there is a LFS, hardware store Home Depot, dirt store or almost anything else, I will go there but I won't walk around in a store with my wife.

Yesterday we had to pass a Costco and she wanted to pick up a gift card for our Daughter.
Thats all, just a card that you get as soon as you walk in.
But a Woman, no Women can just walk into a store for one thing and walk out. Their DNA won't allow that.

She had to look at the clothes and Costco has a lot of clothes, mostly sweat shirts, socks etc.
Then there was the snacks, and the vegetables, then the frozen fish, live lobsters, cheeses and it went on and on. If I had hair, I would have pulled it all out.

Our little "Just go in and get a card" lasted an hour and $400.00 later we had the card.

Reefing_addiction

Corals and Cronies over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my wife goes shopping I leave her there and go someplace else. If there is a LFS, hardware store Home Depot, dirt store or almost anything else, I will go there but I won't walk around in a store with my wife.

Yesterday we had to pass a Costco and she wanted to pick up a gift card for our Daughter.
Thats all, just a card that you get as soon as you walk in.
But a Woman, no Women can just walk into a store for one thing and walk out. Their DNA won't allow that.

She had to look at the clothes and Costco has a lot of clothes, mostly sweat shirts, socks etc.
Then there was the snacks, and the vegetables, then the frozen fish, live lobsters, cheeses and it went on and on. If I had hair, I would have pulled it all out.

Our little "Just go in and get a card" lasted an hour and $400.00 later we had the card.
I am a woman that can walk in and buy that one thing, unless it’s at the LFS. Than it’s my boyfriend sitting in the car waiting. I come back out with a bag and my water. I get dirty looks. Then he says “I thought you just needed water”;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I knew I recognized this fish. I was reading one of your articles elsewhere the other day!

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, sounds like some of you are pretty lucky with the diversity of what your LFS keeps in stock! I love getting close and looking just to see what I can see. My favorite part of reefing is all the tiny organism interactions, whether they be something as simple as a feather duster to bi valves to fish interactions with eachother. My LFS it tiny so when it's slow I like to really take my time and hang out.

Back