Do people still trade corals in this hobby?

Are you interested in TRADING corals or other livestock with fellow reefers?

• YES

Votes: 266 73.7%
  • NO

Votes: 34 9.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 55 15.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 1.7%

• Total voters

Tegridy Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I think that's why it's best to trade locally.
Yeah but I wanted to post this because I get offered trades all the time and reef to reef has rules to protect buyers by using good and service but would interesting to see if they can come up with something for trades maybe they do but I’m not aware. Like a deposit on both side for the trade

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be up for swapping corals with someone local when I'm ready to swap,apart from nuclear green palys ,I not really got anything of any real size to swap and wouldn't dare just swap a little 2cm of a nub off a coral,as just think that's just daft lol.
Only 1.5 years Into owning a reef tank and see lots of excited reefers with their little nubs off corals and my local lfs also sell little small frags and bought a few little 3-8 branch sps frags and 2 month's ( green and red on same plug) which where like 5cmx8cm size each but wouldn't buy any smaller than these if I'm honest .
And not into the newest hottest coral at the moment as would just rather wait a year or 2 and buy it when cheaper and more popular as more than likely get more for your money,same with clothes,not got a problem buying last years stock for 50% off the price,my mrs calls me a tight yorkshire man but I call it wise not tight ha ha ^_^

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience 90% of my DMs when I list something for trade start with interest and swapping of pictures, then asking for a time and place, and next thing you know they get kidnapped by big coral to keep their online vendors in business. That or we've got a lot of weirdos who just want to catfish coral pictures. Either way I hardly ever have anyone actually show up.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t really trade as much as give my closest reefing friends frags because they give me frags. I’ve also given them rbta splits and even fish that don’t get along with others in my tank. Wish I knew more people in Indiana to trade with though!

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not usually trade, as have no room. But I do give away tons of stuff to local reefers, as I always have some left over when I thin the herd and fill up the local LFS for store credit (food, salt, other dry goods) lol.
You are lucky. My LFS does not accept anything from client tanks.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are lucky. My LFS does not accept anything from client tanks.
Yeah, some LFS are like that. I do get it, as who knows what you could end up with. But then I see corals come from wholesalers to LFS that are worse than the worst home tank lol.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would but I don't know anyone but me in my area. I know there are likely some but they probably have the same issue as @vetteguy53081 with most having the space for a much larger tank. I will have some toxic green hammers though in the next month, large colony I need to separate.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting for it to stop being horribly, horribly hot in my area to do a coral trade with someone. Gotta hit that chunk of time where it's cool enough to ship, but also not into the holiday shipping rush yet.
That too. It's been danged hot these past few weeks.

ESamson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I think of it I can start fragging mushrooms but let’s be real, if I’m trying to get rid of ricordea yuma then whose going to want it. Besides, don’t think that jaws would be impressed.
8E9504F4-D82A-4C8B-ACBE-9AD016325A78.jpeg
Lovely. Any tips on keeping Ricordea yuma? I'm interested in it but I'm reading it's pretty difficult for some reason.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were in the US or I was in England, I would trade you some acros for some shrooms lol. Those would look great in my display fuge and be a great contrast to the macros.
Totally, I think that’s the biggest thing some people don’t realise is how if done the right way softies/mushrooms can look extremely nice and go well with the flow of a reef.
Lovely. Any tips on keeping Ricordea yuma? I'm interested in it but I'm reading it's pretty difficult for some reason.
Honestly, I don’t do anything special other then have them higher in the tank to get them bubbling up (I cant tell if the flow has something to do with it or if it’s the lighting). Other than that I just let time do it’s thing :)
I get some great young yumas from the mother colony(ies?).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back