Do phytoplankton stay in water column?

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly will be in the water column. I guess dead/non-motile stuff could sink and land on sand and rock. Unlikely with the flow in our tanks. Won’t really reside in the tank at all. Will quickly be eaten by various inhabitants and filtered by any mechanical filtration.

OP
OP
B

Back where it all began

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then, if I have a mixed reef with Duncans and leathers, no filter feeders, but many hermits and shrimp; would copes and phyto be worthwhile. I have a foxface, kole tang, cowfish, valentini puffer, melanurus wrasse, royal gramma.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to solve this question when I start back up my tank. One of the things that keeps being repeated is that they like salinity lower than we tend to keep ours.

OP
OP
B

Back where it all began

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting. I keep mine at 1.026 like most do. If they stay long enough to use nitrate and phosphate, might be reasonable. Then they die and probably release it back into the column one way or another.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, algeabarn mentioned that uv doesn't effect them. Thought that was odd.
I am not sure that is a good question trying to figure that out myself was thinking about adding a uv sterilizer but do not want to kill my phytoplankton my corals and pods love it

waterskiguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plankton live in the water column. Zooplankton being plant and zooplankton being animal. Phyto may not be consumed directly by the corals or animals, But what they consume probably is, somewhere down the food chain. I feed rotifers phyto to grow them out so i can feed my corals and other pods that re consumed by different animals. the way i figure, somewhere down the line, everything will have something to eat.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back