Do pitted pump impellas effect salt water chemistry?

elic173

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

I saw the whole debate as to whether to leave your glass cleaning magnet in the tank or not. The debate centred around possible element leakage.

When cleaning the impella on my pump, I noticed it was pitted and any protective coating would have been damaged.

Would this cause a leakage into the water and adversely effect the water chemistry?

If so what element or elements would show up on an ICP test?

Thanks

Ed

GThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most impellers are made of some form of plastic, so there shouldn’t be a problem. Can you tell if yours is made of another material?

OP
OP
E

elic173

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most impellers are made of some form of plastic, so there shouldn’t be a problem. Can you tell if yours is made of another material?
It’s the spindle which they claim is stainless steel and the magnet I was concerned about. I’ve noticed better pumps use ceramic spindles. I will be upgrading to that. I think they cover the magnet with a waterproof material, but mine is pitted so the magnet is exposed to the salt water which I I assume is bad. Time for an upgrade.

GThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the spindle which they claim is stainless steel and the magnet I was concerned about. I’ve noticed better pumps use ceramic spindles. I will be upgrading to that. I think they cover the magnet with a waterproof material, but mine is pitted so the magnet is exposed to the salt water which I I assume is bad. Time for an upgrade.
I would have to agree with you on that. If the magnet was exposed it may be time for a new one or maybe some liquid two part epoxy to recover the magnet. Just a thought. Good luck with it

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back