Do pods and Phytoplankton replace feedings?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a bottle of 5280 pods and live phyto from algae barn. I have been feeding a mix of reef chilli and reef roids every other day.

I plan on dumping in the pods after lights out and 1 dose of the Phytoplankton tomorrow when I get it. The Phytoplankton gets dosed every other day or so. This supposedly feeds the pods so they reproduce and feeds the corals.

So, do I need to keep feeding the roids and reef chili or will the corals prefer the more natural feeding?

The live Phytoplankton may get expensive every month with the shipping, but if it works then whatever.

Does anyone use this combo?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never noticed a discernible difference either way honestly.

With the good Live Phyto though. My scallop gets a much deeper red.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals don’t eat pods as far as I know . Phytoplankton will be consumed by Zooplankton which I turn can be eaten by corals. This can help pods , which in turn will help some fish (like wrasse). I don’t see lps being benefited directly from this. They could use some chunky food, even after this.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals don’t eat pods as far as I know . Phytoplankton will be consumed by Zooplankton which I turn can be eaten by corals. This can help pods , which in turn will help some fish (like wrasse). I don’t see lps being benefited directly from this. They could use some chunky food, even after this.
Agreed.
Some feed big once in a while , and some feed small fairly constantly. What ever I feed is at night , so it’s in the water waxen the lps and NPs are out and open.

And if youve never seen a grand paly snap shut on a full sized amphipod, your missing out.
True story.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't think a LPS (acan, torch, hammer) or anemome will eat pods?.

Would the live Phytoplankton beneficial?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't think a LPS (acan, torch, hammer) or anemome will eat pods?.

Would the live Phytoplankton beneficial?
Ya, I don’t think they can eat pods. Pods are very agile , unless something chase and hunt them I don’t see they are being eaten.
I have couple of pico tanks that have thriving pod population , only because of absence of fish

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back