Do Pods need phyto dosing?

ntayler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have zero pods in my system since starting with dry rock. System is only about 6 months old, and I want to add some pods. Is dosing phyto a necessity, or only if I want a huge number of pods. I have a fuge with some chaeto (which has not grown recently due to lack of nutrients, but that is another topic). I would prefer not to order, store, and dose phyto if I can get away with it, wondering what your experiences were with the matter. I was thinking about buying the 5280 pod pack from algae barn and would like to have a sustainable population without repurchasing.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't need it to exists or reproduce. It's only needed if you want to really breed them quickly.

Phyto is really easy to grow as a DIY.

OP
OP
ntayler

ntayler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's just "one more thing" lol. I am trying to decide if it's worth it and the system would benefit enough for the effort

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally you don't need to supplement pods unless you have a pod eating fish like a mandarin.

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mandarin and i don't feed the pods i have some rock in my sump where i used to dump my puffs into and they grow nice and happy. When the tank was younger id buy pods maybe once a month or so but i haven't had to add any for a while and i can see them running around and my mandrin is happy but no i don't feed the pods.

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have zero pods in my system since starting with dry rock. System is only about 6 months old, and I want to add some pods. Is dosing phyto a necessity, or only if I want a huge number of pods. I have a fuge with some chaeto (which has not grown recently due to lack of nutrients, but that is another topic). I would prefer not to order, store, and dose phyto if I can get away with it, wondering what your experiences were with the matter. I was thinking about buying the 5280 pod pack from algae barn and would like to have a sustainable population without repurchasing.

Ive got 5-6 2 liter bottles full of phyto I cultured from Todds Pods sin city brew. PM if you are interested in 1 or 5 bottles to start a culture. Its old from April but still nice and dark green. I can get pics later today when I get home

305Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While phyto isn't necessary for keeping a pod population up, it does help immensely in getting a massive population thriving. It can also help jump start all sorts of other micro fauna. I dose phyto on new tanks for the first 2-3 months as its breaking in, in my past observations of setting up tanks like this, ive noticed that the tanks I started with phyto dosing always contained more pods, more sponges, more tunicates, more feather dusters, etc etc etc... The first time I ordered from Algae Barn, I ordered their phyto, but the reality is there prices are too high including shipping...BUT!! Their container is amazingly convenient for dosing phyto. Now I just bring their bottle to my LFS where they fill it with phyto for about $5. In the AM when I dose my KZ products and feed the fish I grab the bottle out of the fridge and drop in 25ml. It takes seconds and isnt vital, but I do feel it helps keep some often ignored parts of my tank (such as microfauna) thriving nicely.

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While phyto isn't necessary for keeping a pod population up, it does help immensely in getting a massive population thriving. It can also help jump start all sorts of other micro fauna. I dose phyto on new tanks for the first 2-3 months as its breaking in, in my past observations of setting up tanks like this, ive noticed that the tanks I started with phyto dosing always contained more pods, more sponges, more tunicates, more feather dusters, etc etc etc... The first time I ordered from Algae Barn, I ordered their phyto, but the reality is there prices are too high including shipping...BUT!! Their container is amazingly convenient for dosing phyto. Now I just bring their bottle to my LFS where they fill it with phyto for about $5. In the AM when I dose my KZ products and feed the fish I grab the bottle out of the fridge and drop in 25ml. It takes seconds and isnt vital, but I do feel it helps keep some often ignored parts of my tank (such as microfauna) thriving nicely.

How big is your tank? Where your feeding 25 mL

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add a little phyto to my sump now and then to support my pod population...75 gal with 20 gal sump. I have a mandarin and a melanarus wrasse, so I'm really just trying to ensure a healthy population. The phyto seems to help.

keithdoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone still here????

I'm on week 2 of a rebuild with Triton and Fuge. I can see tiny little pods all over the glass of refugium (and display at night).
I'm slowly overfeeding feeding to increase ability to handle increased bio load and hopefully macroagae in the refugium.

Wondering if dosing phyto would help in any way? I'd like to have more pods to handle what's winding up in the refugium (and maybe make my SPS even happier).

I've got the "easy booster" phyto gel - looks pretty awesome from a MACNA review I read (same folks who make Maastick food), but I can't see where anyone here has commented on it. Anyone tried it?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone still here????

I'm on week 2 of a rebuild with Triton and Fuge. I can see tiny little pods all over the glass of refugium (and display at night).
I'm slowly overfeeding feeding to increase ability to handle increased bio load and hopefully macroagae in the refugium.

Wondering if dosing phyto would help in any way? I'd like to have more pods to handle what's winding up in the refugium (and maybe make my SPS even happier).

I've got the "easy booster" phyto gel - looks pretty awesome from a MACNA review I read (same folks who make Maastick food), but I can't see where anyone here has commented on it. Anyone tried it?
I think once pods have established it isn't necessary to keep dosing phyto. Phyto does aid in reproduction of pods but phosphate increase might outweigh the benefits. Pods are resourceful and find food in green filementous algae and detritus. Many people keep pods in refugiums this way without phyto dosing. If you get phyto with your pods, it wouldnt hurt to feed them in this time. Long term, I don't think its necessary.

DBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think once pods have established it isn't necessary to keep dosing phyto. Phyto does aid in reproduction of pods but phosphate increase might outweigh the benefits. Pods are resourceful and find food in green filementous algae and detritus. Many people keep pods in refugiums this way without phyto dosing. If you get phyto with your pods, it wouldnt hurt to feed them in this time. Long term, I don't think its necessary.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing exactly the same. Got the algae barn two for one on their pod phyto package .Just finishing g it up this month. Very healthy population so far .

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 58.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back