Do RFAs and Softies need major elements?

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess my title really is the tl;dr. But, I have a pretty beautiful biocube 29 and next to it, I have a 30c (7.1g cube) that I had my betta in. He passed away and now I have what looks like a good candidate for a very simple pico reef. My plan is to feed an ATO from my reservoir next to it, use my Kessil A80, an AC20, some rock i have, sand, etc. I can even wire my A80 to my kessil controller so they can be on the same schedule. I’d like to run a more white spectrum and get some pulsing zenia, grandis palys, Macroalgae, and make this tank kinda like a lagoon or natural style. Maybe a few “ugly” RFAs that my LFS has for $15/nem. My question is, will I have to worry about water changes? I prefer to make things super easy. I just change 5 gallons every 1-2 weeks in my BC29 and it seems to keep everything happy. I never test my water and things have gone well for 5 months. From what I understand, nothing in this tank will make use of frequent water changes in order to replenish Ca, dkh, and mg. Right? As long as i put no stony corals. But, some folks have told me zoas/palys uptake magnesium? I just don’t want another chemistry project. Maybe 1 gal a week WCs would suffice? I use reef crystals.

If it’s not already implied, there will be NO fish in this 7.1 gallon. Maybe a couple inverts. Open to all ideas.

BC29 on the first week of cycle with the planted 30c next to it:
49A67D74-DBCE-4590-928B-093CC598CF43.jpeg

current state of the BC29
14423283-7C5B-459D-B8FA-A0BD8B8C3541.jpeg

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, you shouldn’t need to monitor trace elements for sofities and nems. Keep an eye on nitrates and phosphates, along with the water changes once a week and you should be fine. Make sure to upload some pics when you get it going!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I run into no4 and po4 climbing if i had Macroalgae present in the system? I’ve never had Macroalgae aside from chaeto in my fuge (and… bubble algae, lol) but in my FW planted tanks with fish poop makers, i never could get traceable no4 because the plants. I really had it dialed to the point where I could control plant growth by feeding more/less but this tank will be void of anything non photosynthetic if i keep verts out of it. Perhaps the nems would need a couple mysis once a week but i never feed the RFAs in my BC.
Thank you! I will try to keep everything updated but i post more on my insta, @freddie_the_betta

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, you shouldn’t need to monitor trace elements for sofities and nems. Keep an eye on nitrates and phosphates, along with the water changes once a week and you should be fine. Make sure to upload some pics when you get it going!
Would I run into no4 and po4 climbing if i had Macroalgae present in the system? I’ve never had Macroalgae aside from chaeto in my fuge (and… bubble algae, lol) but in my FW planted tanks with fish poop makers, i never could get traceable no4 because the plants. I really had it dialed to the point where I could control plant growth by feeding more/less but this tank will be void of anything non photosynthetic if i keep verts out of it. Perhaps the nems would need a couple mysis once a week but i never feed the RFAs in my BC.
Thank you! I will try to keep everything updated but i post more on my insta, @freddie_the_betta

Upvote 0

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proper values and balance is important for everyrthing.....

Yes, softies, zoas and stuff dont take ca or else directly as sps/lps, but, they also need stable and optimal values....

Upvote 0

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as macroalgae, might be difficult to get it to grow in such a small area, but can be done with the proper light for it. I would start off simple, keeping the macro out for right now until you can get some measurements for nitrate and phosphates. Another thing to consider would be to use the water from your bigger tank to do water changes. Your bigger tank looks healthy.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as macroalgae, might be difficult to get it to grow in such a small area, but can be done with the proper light for it. I would start off simple, keeping the macro out for right now until you can get some measurements for nitrate and phosphates. Another thing to consider would be to use the water from your bigger tank to do water changes. Your bigger tank looks healthy.
that is a stellar idea, I think a gallon or two a week would be great!

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soft corals and algae certainly take up trace elements, but like all reef tanks, whether you need any dosed depends on how much comes with foods and water changes compared to consumption.

FWIW, some soft corals di take up calcium and alk to make internal calcium carbonate spicules.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any corals and nems at minimum need to have nitrate, phosphate and alkalinity monitored and managed. For all nems you should have a mature rank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soft corals and algae certainly take up trace elements, but like all reef tanks, whether you need any dosed depends on how much comes with foods and water changes compared to consumption.

FWIW, some soft corals di take up calcium and alk to make internal calcium carbonate spicules.
Since I probably pull ca dkh and mg from my WCs of the “…big” tank, i think ill do my WCs with the scrap water or at least partial. I can also dose AFR but i dont want a chemistry project (figuring out proper dosing) so i may just see how it goes and dial in accordingly. This project is months down the line but realistically all I “need” is an ATO and some sand so it may come a little sooner. Do you think an A80 will be enough light?

gotta remember this is only a 7.1g system too so i feel like one gallon of red sea black bucket or reef crystals will be enough elements on a weekly basis at least to maintain levels

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 15 gallon RFA and softie tank. I do weekly 5 gallon water changes, no skimmer, no tests, just a hob filter to run carbon. The tank is 9 months old and have no losses, no issue's.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back