Do Shrimp Gobies need established tanks?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I would just like to know whether Shrimp Gobies need established tanks with lots of microfauna in the sand. Do they sift sand the same way as Sleeper Gobies (genus Valencianna etc.) do? Do they do best in mature, established tanks or can they be the first fish or among the first fish in a tank?

I want to add a YWG, a Pink Bar Shrimp Goby, and an Orange Spotted Shrimp Goby to my 6’.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. They are not sand sifters, and therefore don’t require lots of microfauna in the sand. I would say they can be among the first fish in the tank, but wouldn’t put them in as the first fish in the tank, unless more belligerent tankmates were to be added later.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am seriously considering putting my three gobies in along with my 4 PJ Cardinals as my first fish so they could be among my first fish, but not sure if 7 fish is too many for a 180 that’s just started. They’ll all be small, around an inch or slightly more than an inch, just worried about the sudden spike in nitrates or even ammonia.

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been on the fence about adding a watchman and tiger first to my setup as well. It would either be this or the royal gramma since I think it’s the most “shy” on my prospect list.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely want the Gobies and PJs in before my Clownfish. Pyramid Butterflies before my Yellow Tang. As for the Royal Gramma, you got me thinking. As of now my plan is to add it with my Clowns or after it.

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to add my clowns first sooo bad haha, have them waiting at my LFS but I’ve heard/read adding a pair first is hit or miss as they will want to claim the whole display as theirs. I have a 60g (kinda cube) display.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some are, some aren’t. Bangaiis tend to reduce themselves to a pair but some other species like the Pajama Cardinals and Yellow Striped Cardinals, Threadfin Cardinals and maybe the Flame Cardinal (Apogon maculatus) seem to do better in small groups.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back