Do Tangs Eat Snails?

Holyreeftankaquaman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed that my snails are dying. Their bodies are gone, but the shell is still there. One snail has maybe 1/8 of his body still there. I have also noticed that my yellow tang has gotten very fat and less shy. Actually, all the fish seem to be getting very fat. Another question would be can fish be overweight?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's VERY, VERY unlikely that your tank would eat a snail. They are much more an herbivore than an omnivore.

It's possible that the snails are starving? Leave a panel of glass uncleaned so diatoms build up. The snails will find it and have something to eat. Or put some nori in a clip and get it down to the sand and they may go for that.

Fish can get overweight, especially in an aquarium where they swim a lot less than they do in the wild.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly doubt it. It could be your hermit crabs if you have any? Craziest thing I've heard is a Sohal Tang eating a cleaner shrimp before.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya hermits are savages. What other fish do you have? Over the past 4 years I’ve lost 5 fish and never found a speck of them. I had a yellow tang disappear never to be found so for sure hermits will wipe clean snails quickly

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi skip the hermits,get yourself a snail flipping stick,#1 cause of the death is flipped upside down less than 24 hrs dead,check em daily flip em,best i have experienced is trocus ability to flip self 90% time,margarita stay stuck on glass ,both will mostly hide daylight,work at night ,makes it easy to check n flip lights on,just imo

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tangs only seem to murder nori. Aside from crabs and falling and can’t get up, snails do fine.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen my yellow attack a snail but if I throw a mussel in the tank he is first in line to get some meat. Possible something else it getting them and if you see it eating on a snail, it might already have been dead.

OP
OP
H

Holyreeftankaquaman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one yellow tang and two clowns. The clowns are very very peaceful and jist play arpind with each other. They dont really bother anyone. Yellow tang used to be shy but now he is loke king of the tank. He eat nori like a pig and also gets first dibbs on whatever i toss in the tank.

Bobby H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one yellow tang and two clowns. The clowns are very very peaceful and jist play arpind with each other. They dont really bother anyone. Yellow tang used to be shy but now he is loke king of the tank. He eat nori like a pig and also gets first dibbs on whatever i toss in the tank.
I have 6 in chocolate tang 2 clowns the tang LOVES escargot...5 a week...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
25 tangs here and they never touch my snails but devour their eggs

Back