Do the new OR2 120's come with 5 watt led's now?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two OR2 120 lights being delivered tomorrow and I was told the reason it took longer was because they were putting 5 watt led's in by hand now. Is this something that is just now being added?

Even on your website it shows that they have 3 watt led's? I think this is a major upgrade if it's true. I guess I will find out tomorrow when they arrive.

OP
OP
TheOne

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody? My lights should be delivered today. :)

Stoneybologna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes mine came with dual chip emitters. I highly doubt they put two 3 watts in 1 case. They are prolly dual 1w emitter lol. The fixtures came with a 900mah 65v driver. it said 60v but i tested with a multi meter and they output 65w with no load. That makes this bar 54w to 60w. Judging by the voltage there are 2x 18 led series strings paralleled together. So the leds are driven @ an amperage of 450ma, 1.6 watts per led. Sound perfect to swap the more costly 3w diode with 2 x dual 1w diodes since they are only driven at 1.6w to save money. why use a 3 watt emitter at 1.6w? (for longevity and life span) when ya can get a dual 1watt led for cheaper and still be 0.4v under max.. If the light was really using 5 watt leds, it would cost more period. No ones gonna use 5w emiters and drive them at 1.6 watts so they last forever. if that was the case they would have a longer warranty then 1 year.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered one of these lights too. The blue plus. For a big reputable company they are very slow to update their site. It still shows that the light has 36 3 watt led's putting out 60 watts. Customer service says they do have the dual chip 5 watt led's now. No doubt they are under driven but I do wonder what the official power specs are on the new light. Orphek directed me to amazon to buy the light. $190. $10 more than the 3 watt lights.

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone received the 5 watt version? Orphek says they are shipping OR3 LED bars that are 5 watt dual chip for $190.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone received the 5 watt version? Orphek says they are shipping OR3 LED bars that are 5 watt dual chip for $190.
I bought the OR2's with the dual 5w chips for $190 a few months ago. Now I see they are offering OR3's with the same 5w chips. I suspect they just decided to rename them OR3 and there is no difference. I'm happy with mine.
Edit ... Orphek acknowledged on their FB page that they are the same light. So yes, I'm happy with my Blue plus 5w light.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back