B796088A-1ADB-4186-8E7B-5BF5F59231B0.jpeg
65E31958-8A5D-4F75-B1E4-5BA3D9990D6F.jpeg

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pic 1 is an asterina starfish. some people say they're bad and maybe eat zoas? i got lazy about plucking them out of my tank and the worst thing they seem to do is crawl onto my ATO sensor and cause the alarm to turn on. i have a few zoas that don't seem to be bothered

pic 2 looks like a pineapple sponge

OP
OP
Easy Reefing

Easy Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pic 1 is an asterina starfish. some people say they're bad and maybe eat zoas? i got lazy about plucking them out of my tank and the worst thing they seem to do is crawl onto my ATO sensor and cause the alarm to turn on. i have a few zoas that don't seem to be bothered

Thank u !

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Agreed. Pic 2 is a pineapple sponge.

On the asterina stars, some eat coral and others won't. I had a bad run with them and had to get a harlequin shrimp to take care of them. They will multiply and IMO that's when they become a pest.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The starfish was formerly in the Genus Asterina, officially Aquilonastra now. Of the 28 or so species, only a couple will harm corals or invertebrates and we usually don't see those in the hobby. Aside from a fast rate of reproduction they're almost always harmless. I also agree the second pic is sponge, harmless as well.

OP
OP
Easy Reefing

Easy Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The starfish was formerly in the Genus Asterina, officially Aquilonastra now. Of the 28 or so species, only a couple will harm corals or invertebrates and we usually don't see those in the hobby. Aside from a fast rate of reproduction they're almost always harmless. I also agree the second pic is sponge, harmless as well.
Thank u

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other way to rid my tank of the starfish? I like the shrimp but don’t want to keep him after they’re gone. Yes I could take it back somewhere but that’s a hassle and risky

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also currently think these starfish are slowly killing my GSP colony, they’re in it and it’s starting to unstick to the rock and fall apart even though it looks great!

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certain asternias do in fact eat corals, softies, lps and sps. The one that do and don’t are not easily identifiable. So they are a gamble.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Certain asternias do in fact eat corals, softies, lps and sps. The one that do and don’t are not easily identifiable. So they are a gamble.
+1 to this...

They also crawl all over corals eating algea so you will always be wondering if it's the 1 or 2 that eat them or not

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other way to rid my tank of the starfish? I like the shrimp but don’t want to keep him after they’re gone. Yes I could take it back somewhere but that’s a hassle and risky

when i was getting rid of them i just used long tweezers

it was kinda fun in a messed up kind of way? :) do it at night that's when they're out and about

but my strain doesn't seem to be the bad kind. i remove them whenever they're on my ATO, but nothing beyond that and at most i see 6-8 at night, doesn't seem to be increasing much

cidermaster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had a problem with stars until recently they started mowing down all my colonies of zoas . I always thought they were kinda cool to look at and never caused a problem until they did !

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i was getting rid of them i just used long tweezers

it was kinda fun in a messed up kind of way? :) do it at night that's when they're out and about

but my strain doesn't seem to be the bad kind. i remove them whenever they're on my ATO, but nothing beyond that and at most i see 6-8 at night, doesn't seem to be increasing much
I wake up to about 2 dozen on my glass not to mention them all up in my GSP... I’ve scrapped them into nets a few times but then they’re reproduced and back the next day.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get them before they are an issue.
I had a few in my 120. 6 months later I had hundreds. I have removed at leat 200 and am down to 5ish a week. If you have coralline and see white spots, its from them, as that is their main food.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They ended up eating my zoas once numbers got large, had to get a harlequin and now have none.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get them before they are an issue.
I had a few in my 120. 6 months later I had hundreds. I have removed at leat 200 and am down to 5ish a week. If you have coralline and see white spots, its from them, as that is their main food.
They’re going down when I get home.... I just assumed I lost my coralline in the move but now I do believe that’s a lie

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back