Do THIS skimmer test at home and finally tune it right! Wet vs. Dry? | BRStv Investigates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're moving on from skimmer testing for now, but before we go....I'm showing you which is better, wet or dry skimmate!?

The best part about today's test is that you can try this at home! See what I found on our BRS750XXL then give it a shot on your tank.

Let me know how it works out! :)

Rick Krejci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question...when you poured out the skimmate into the jug, did you also collect the sludge on the side/top of the cup? I find that at lower speeds, the sides collect more sludge than at higher speeds. This sludge is concentrated organics that should be counted toward the total collected.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question...when you poured out the skimmate into the jug, did you also collect the sludge on the side/top of the cup? I find that at lower speeds, the sides collect more sludge than at higher speeds. This sludge is concentrated organics that should be counted toward the total collected.

For sure! :) In all honesty, that shot you saw was just for video purposes. Aaron had the pleasure of doing the real testing for our data on this one where he used spatulas and RODI water to thoroughly clean the cup and neck after each 24hr period.

For those trying this at home, I'd definitely recommend getting some rubber gloves and cheap-o spatulas to throw away when you're done.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're moving on from skimmer testing for now, but before we go....I'm showing you which is better, wet or dry skimmate!?

The best part about today's test is that you can try this at home! See what I found on our BRS750XXL then give it a shot on your tank.

Let me know how it works out! :)

Nice demonstration. Your results are consistent with the engineering literature but no equations to wade through!

There is a point at which increasing air flow degrades skimmer performance. Maybe you found that at the highest air flow in your experiment.

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like collecting all, then letting the larger amounts (wetter) evaporate down to all being the same volume would show the differences better. How does taking a sample and diluting it show the total pulled?

Love the work as always!

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like collecting all, then letting the larger amounts (wetter) evaporate down to all being the same volume would show the differences better. How does taking a sample and diluting it show the total pulled?

Love the work as always!
Agree.
Evaporate it down to a thick sludge or puck and then weigh it. That would have been my method. Yes you do have the extra added salt from the wet skim slightly skewing the results but based on initial volume of each sample and the known salinity of the tank you could actually calculate the weight of the salt if you wanted to be more precise. Anyway a good video. Thanks

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back