Do those with a strict quarantine keep new live rock from the display for 76 days?

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering upgrading my Reefer 450 to a Reefer 750 XXL. My thought is to move all of my live rock and coral to the new tank and leave it fishless for 76 days (tank may have some ich), treat the old tank with copper for 30 days leaving the fish in it (maybe work a TTM or two in there), then over to the new display at the end of the 76 days.

I buy all my live rock from the LFS who gets some really nice rock from FL. The huge tank they keep it in has fish living in it, so it may be possible the rock has ich tomonts on it.

If I want to add any rockwork, or even a piece here and there, would it always need to be quarantined for 76 days prior to adding it to my display tank? Is this what the hard core quarantine supporters do?

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering upgrading my Reefer 450 to a Reefer 750 XXL. My thought is to move all of my live rock and coral to the new tank and leave it fishless for 76 days (tank may have some ich), treat the old tank with copper for 30 days leaving the fish in it (maybe work a TTM or two in there), then over to the new display at the end of the 76 days.

I buy all my live rock from the LFS who gets some really nice rock from FL. The huge tank they keep it in has fish living in it, so it may be possible the rock has ich tomonts on it.

If I want to add any rockwork, or even a piece here and there, would it always need to be quarantined for 76 days prior to adding it to my display tank? Is this what the hard core quarantine supporters do?
I would do 76 days. I am very very strict and it may not be what others say.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this what the hard core quarantine supporters do?
Yep. Too much hard work into keeping a healthy pest/parasite free tank to take the chance of introducing something that will just ruin your day. Everything new gets the appropriate QT ;):D

Cyricdark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes if it's live rock from them you would absolutely need to quarantine it me personally if I was going to just add the odd piece here and there I would just get dry Rock.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back