Do urchine reproduce in reef tanks?

Robb1821i

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 urchins in my tank. Today I noticed a baby urchin. Do they reproduce in aquariums?

20210613_210516.jpg

anemoneanatomy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not impossible, but it's fairly unlikely. Sea urchin babies are free floating for a really long time (I believe around two years), so to be a baby of your urchins, they would have had to have mated quite some time ago, produced viable spawn, and then the free-floating larva would have to survive in your tank (and your filter / sump / protein skimmer / etc) until it was big enough to be visible to you.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it’s not a baby that your urchins produced sorry. Free floating urchins in live algae to survive. But larval urchins can settle out in as little as two weeks time if conditions are correct.

Steg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not impossible, but it's fairly unlikely. Sea urchin babies are free floating for a really long time (I believe around two years), so to be a baby of your urchins, they would have had to have mated quite some time ago, produced viable spawn, and then the free-floating larva would have to survive in your tank (and your filter / sump / protein skimmer / etc) until it was big enough to be visible to you.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back