Do yellow watchman gobies 100% need a pistol shrimp with them.

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I'm looking to add a yellow watchman goby to my 20g tomorrow. Do watchman goby 100% pistol shrimp?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100%? I agree with no.

You will get better behavior by pairing with a shrimp.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pink spot wondered the tank looking lost with no home until I got his pistol shrimp. He would come and check out cuc when added then when I finally added his shrimp he came over when the shrimp was still in my hand and they been together for 2 years.

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pink spot wondered the tank looking lost with no home until I got his pistol shrimp. He would come and check out cuc when added then when I finally added his shrimp he came over when the shrimp was still in my hand and they been together for 2 years.
We bought our wide barred goby and a tiger pistol at the same time. They bonded right away. The pistol shrimp died about a month later and the wide barred still does not leave the area of the tank they had set-up as home. The tank has even been reaquascaped since the shrimp passed and the goby doesn't leave that corner even though the rocks are set-up completely different. We think Clyde misses his Bonnie and hopes she'll come home (they killed and drug 3 small damsels into their den for dinner - hence Bonnie & Clyde)

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:( What happened to the Pistol Shrimp.

Really? They killed 3 small damsels? Which species?
The pistol shrimp just disappeared. We haven't seen or heard him in over 2 months. The damsels were Talbot's that were about 3/4'" each. The shrimp was rather large for a pistol at 2". We heard the "pistol" and saw the dead fish in the den with the pistol tearing them apart. The 1st one we thought was a fluke but over the course of a week he took all 3 of them down. They had just come out of a 6 week "new fish" QT and were introduced to the tank nice and fat and eating well.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pistol shrimp just disappeared. We haven't seen or heard him in over 2 months. The damsels were Talbot's that were about 3/4'" each. The shrimp was rather large for a pistol at 2". We heard the "pistol" and saw the dead fish in the den with the pistol tearing them apart. The 1st one we thought was a fluke but over the course of a week he took all 3 of them down. They had just come out of a 6 week "new fish" QT and were introduced to the tank nice and fat and eating well.

I had a YWG paired with candycane shrimp together for 5+ years through multiple tank upgrades. They eventually find each other after rocks were added. I assume the shrimp hides in a rock somewhere as I've never actually found it to physically move.

I lost the YWG due to a ich outbreak recently and now QT'ing a new YWG before adding. What I have observed is that the shrimp went "missing". Didn't see or hear him "snap" to the point that I wondered if he was alive. Eventually found a series of tunnels and a peek of the shrimp so I know he's still there. Moral of this story is that the shrimp tends to be out more visually...and snaps more when paired if they're like mine. Otherwise I would probably never see the shrimp.

The real challenge will come in 4-6 weeks when I add the YWG back to the tank and see if he finds the shrimp...and if they'll get along since they're not introduced together.

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. But I’d definitely recommend it. Both fish and shrimp behave differently when paired and appear much more content. Also happens to be an amazing thing to witness. Any reason why you don’t get a pistol shrimp? They’re great little CUC members...

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My watchman has been alone for about 5 years and seems happy enough. Cant say for sure he dont talk much, but his behavior seems normal and "happy". In the past i have done shrimp/watchmen combo, but in this case really wanted the sand to stay where i wanted ir rather than where a shrimp wanted it.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back