Do you allow your reef tank to run COLDER during the winter months?

Do you allow your reef tank to run COLDER during the winter months?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 88 20.8%
  • NO

Votes: 325 76.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 2.6%

• Total voters

acorn88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank runs 77.5 in winter, 78.5 in summer with no chiller (dc return pump, gyre’s, & LED’s )

Melanie D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine the same temperature year round. well... at least I try to. 78 degrees seems to be the sweet spot for my mixed reef.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the question should be re-worded as "does your tank run warmer in the summer?"

Keeping it warm is usually not the problem; it's keeping it cool enough in the summer. Except in Texas right now, as witnessed by some other threads.

There's a thread by a reefer whose tank got down to 45º and with the exception of some crabs and possibly a Xenia, everything survived! I think the majority of our inhabitance can acclimate to a slightly warmer or colder temperature just fine, as long as you avoid extremes or rapid swings.

seahorsebill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of us live in places where the temperatures are considerably colder in the winter time. No matter what season it is though, the goal is to keep your water temp consistent year round. That being said it can be a bit more difficult to maintain warmer water in your reef aquarium depending on certain variables. I noticed yesterday that my tank temperature shot up beyond acceptable levels just because I raised the temp on the thermostat by 2 degrees! Let's talk about it!

Do you allow your reef tank to run COLDER during the winter months? How many degrees if any?

image via @sfgabe
ha_bali.png
I don’t use a heater what so ever. My tank stats are room temp and does great. I’ve never used a heater and if my tank warms up or cools down it does so naturally and gradually.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 78 in summer and i cant get it any higher than 75 76 in the winter. Personally i cant wait for the winter to be over if i get one more 700 dollar power bill I might have to start living off brine shrimp...

Wanda Jo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naw I just use a heater to keep it consistent, however I live in Tucson AZ
so it’s the summertime & evaporation I struggle with

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 46 85.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back