Do you avoid cross contamination of your tanks?

Does cross contamination concern you?

• Yes, I’m very careful about keeping things separate in each system.

• Somewhat, I try my best to keep things separate but do share some things without too much concern

• No, I treat my multiple tanks like they are one system

Results are only viewable after voting.

partlycloudy531

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you that have more than one tank, how much effort do you put into avoiding cross contamination? Do you have separate tools and equipment for each tank or do you just treat them like they are one system? What about if you move coral from one tank to another, do you dip them? Do you QT fish before moving them? I was feeding frozen mysis tonight and thawed it out with water from one tank but poured it into both of my tanks. Just curious what most people do.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try my best to not cross contaminate. Not to say I haven't ever. I did have a couple coral frags that were getting eaten by my peppermint shrimp that got emergency moved directly to my nano. But in general, the rare time a tool does go between systems I at least try to rinse it in RO water and wipe it dry first. Mostly I have separate tools though.

ikanspelwel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one sump in my basement for all my tanks, so they are all one big system. The expense that this setup saves for only having to dose/check prams on a "single" system is huge for me, also allows for only needing one apex/skimmer/filter/auto water change/ato system for them all, a lot less gear and expense in the end.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go to EXTREME lengths to avoid cross contamination. I wash my hands after every task I perform between tanks. Wash all tolls ect, wash hands between feeding different tanks. Separate tools. Wash everything after use.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back