Do you believe Neptune will update/refresh their Apex Controller hardware anytime soon?

JSully_94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm currently exploring the idea of adding a controller to my aquarium. Currently, Neptune's Apex system along with their Trident water analyzer seem appealing. Seeing as the current Apex was released in 2016, I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to whether or not they will be updating their hardware sooner or later? Basically, I don't want to buy into an entire ecosystem that will be updated within a year or two, especially if it's not going to be backward compatible.

Thanks, everyone!

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. I'd bet the current Apex will be the standard for at least another few years. I could see a price reduction and new modules depending on how the new Coralvue Hydros penetrates the market.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt there will be a new Apex in the next year or two. And so far every new model of Apex has been backward compatible with all existing modules, so there’s little risk in investing in the current product line. See my Apex Hardware Overview article for a complete list:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! Hard to see a new brain anytime soon. My recollection is that the horsepower in the 2016 version was required for things like trident (which is not backwards compatible). Until more capacity is required, there’s really no technical reason to have a new brain. Maybe from a replacement revenue perspective (cynical me LOL) eventually.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have no need to because the competition they have is so passive. That could change if Ecotech actually builds a hardware based controller (unlikely). My bet is that besides possibly making a lighting solution Neptune might be looking at making a second generation Trident. There are some issues with the current Trident that could be fixed and make it a lot better but they could also add in a Nitrate and Phosphate test and pretty much corner the AWT market.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The current holes that I see are Bluetooth/ WiFi comm (for 3rd party like kessil, ai, etc), nitrate/phosphate (additional tester, not replacing trident), wav replacement ( Nero/ Octo pulse style) and a 4 head dos.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back