Do you consider a tank above 30 gallons to be nano?

ahaas248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are tanks above 30 gallons considered “nano”. I feel like that needs to be changed because calling 30, 35, or 40 gallon tanks nano Just seems very not right. They are not nano at all in my opinion, the cost of setting them up is especially not nano. What do you think?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In contrast to those who classify a 40 as a nano, there are others that refer to nano tanks as anything below 20g. IMO it is part perspective and part marketing. Another related question...what is the size range of a pico tank?

Andrew9909

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that in general anything under around 5 or so gallons is considered "pico" and between 5 and 30 gallons is considered "nano". That being said everyone has there own opinion on what they consider to be either pico or nano. I dont believe there is an actual consensus. I'm sure someone with a 1000gal tank would consider someone's 100gal tank a "nano"!!!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the line had to be drawn some where. I guess when it was, smaller tanks where not as common as they are today? the 40 are in that awkward stage between kids and teenagers..lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Nope- thats an aquarium

OP
OP
ahaas248

ahaas248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the line had to be drawn some where. I guess when it was, smaller tanks where not as common as they are today? the 40 are in that awkward stage between kids and teenagers..lol
Yeah but it’s also a 40 gallon, a 40 gallon system, which means sump+aquarium= 40 gallon water volume, should be considered nano depending on the size of the sump(in my opinion) but that’s just my opinion, a 40 gallon tank is pretty large

OP
OP
ahaas248

ahaas248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In contrast to those who classify a 40 as a nano, there are others that refer to nano tanks as anything below 20g. IMO it is part perspective and part marketing. Another related question...what is the size range of a pico tank?
Well it’s all about opinion, that’s why I thought this would be a good topic to discuss because opinions differ a lot, but in my opinion anything under 10 gallons is a pico, if it’s 10 gallons then I consider it as a nano, but if it’s single digit then I classify it as pico

OP
OP
ahaas248

ahaas248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29. I don't considerate a nano. It has a sump with refugium, skimmer rated for a bigger tank, ATO system and a kalk doser.
Sounds very nice man! But I totally agree, with would consider that a mid sized tank, especially since you have a sump, which makes your systems water volume even more than 29g

OP
OP
ahaas248

ahaas248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt consider anything over 10 gallons a nano personally.
Yeah It’s all about opinion, really no right or wrong answer, in my opinion, any aquarium over 25 gallons is not a nano, and any system(display+sump) that has a water volume over 25 gallons should not be nano. But that’s my opinion

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would agree, I don’t consider a RSR170 (34g) to be a nano. Small sure.

i also don’t consider the sump as part of the consideration. A 10g tank with a 40B sump (random) is still a Nano.

there just needs to be a fancy name after nano, I call them small...

pico, nano, small, TangPoliceWontArrestMe, large, dream...

OP
OP
ahaas248

ahaas248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I considered my biocube 29 to be a mini reef. I’d say something under 15 is nano, and 5 or less is Pico.

no way is my 34 gallon reefer 170 a nano. My bank account and stock of coral, fish, inverts say no.
Haha, you reflected upon my initial post perfectly, but I 100 percent agree with the 34 gallon part!

OP
OP
ahaas248

ahaas248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i also don’t consider the sump as part of the consideration. A 10g tank with a 40B sump (random) is still a Nano.

Yeah I see where your coming from, sometimes when someone considers my tank a nano, it kinda is like a right hook to the face, cuz I always think about all the money I have spent on it to be called a “nano”

OP
OP
ahaas248

ahaas248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again it’s all about opinion like you said, but In my opinion, I consider any single digit aquarium to be pico(anything under 10, 1-9)

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think more along the lines of small, sumpless, minimal equipment, AIO systems under 25 gallons. A nano system generally isn't going to need or have a bunch of gear associated with it.

Let's say a 2 gallon reef jar standing alone is a pico...plumb a 10 gallon sump for fuge and skimmer....nano. Upgrade the sump to a 40B with sand, algae, mangroves....model ecosystem?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back