Do you consider hermit crabs a RISK in your reef aquarium?

Do you consider hermit crabs a RISK in your reef aquarium?

• YES

Votes: 164 17.3%
  • NO

Votes: 450 47.4%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 248 26.1%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 79 8.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 0.9%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's been a while since we've collectively talked about hermit crabs. I remember countless topics created about which ones were reef safe and which ones were not only to find out that many people had differing results with the same crabs. So let's talk about it!

1. Do you consider hermit crabs a RISK in your reef aquarium?

2. What types of hermit crabs have you found to be reef safe?

bigstock-Small-Funny-Hermit-Crab-Underw-303800626.jpg

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are 100% a risk to eat snails for their shells. One can mitigate this by leaving empty shells in the tank for them to find and transfer to though.

I haven't run hermit crabs for over a decade. They provide very little benefit.

I do have 2 in my 120 that came on rock from a buddy's tank teardown. I don't recall seeing or looking for them in quite some time

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't purchased hermit crabs in probably over 2 years. I have no idea how many I have as well. Maybe I need more? Maybe I need none? LOL!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They provide very little benefit.

This is an interesting statement. Can you explain your thoughts on this a little more? Thanks.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not in my fuge and sump which is where they all live now, LOL. I voted other because they are fine where they are at but I do have feather duster worms in the DT and I caught one of the crabs on it. All mine are blue leg hermits. I never had any issues with them before I got the feather duster s.

Grimmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some blue legs. They seem to forage in the sand and occasionally eat some algae off my rocks. I don't find that they pick on my snails much but I have some big turbos. I did find one eating whatever was growing on a turbos shell though.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is an interesting statement. Can you explain your thoughts on this a little more? Thanks.

What do they do? Maybe eat some leftover food?

I've never seen them decimate a tank of hair algae or anything. Usually they are opportunistic scavengers and even steal food from corals that capture it.

Snails are far better algae eaters and don't kill each other for shells.

If one is worried about leftover food, some nassarius or even bumblebee snails can help there.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added snails and Hermits back 6 years ago. The hermits are getting big but I don't remember the name, halloween maybe?
They are starting to knock over snails and feasting. They will be going to the sump soon.

sevenx7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 and only 1 that came with something, He ate 2 snails even though he had a few shells littered around for him. He's tasted blood and he couldn't get enough lol

I put him in the frag tank now where he lives his days to reflect on what he did, sometimes i let him in the display tank to clean up a few things on the rock as a thrill but I keep an eye on him. He's been behaving but I wouldn't consider him rehabilitated...

Pelagikos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that they are very beneficial in cleaning up all types of algae, etc. I started having some overgrowth due to a spike in nutrients, so added 10 bluelegs to my 50 gallon.
They cleaned up the rock within a week which was no small feat and they're adorable to boot!
If they happen to kill a few snails I can always replace them, and I find that adding empty shells as well, keeps these things in check.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to dig through the depth of my build thread to find this link... If you want to know about hermits please read this

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to dig through the depth of my build thread to find this link... If you want to know about hermits please read this

Loved that story!

I have blue leg and the Mexican red leg ones.
Completely harmless for me, maybe it’s just the emerald crab and pistol shrimp doing the real damage.
Give lots of shells and they should leave everything alone.
Though early on mine had a nasty habit of flipping frags.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They kill snails and pick at corals looking for food. That said, I find them fun to watch, especially pitho and Halloween hermits

Joe Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have probably 100 mostly small hermits in my 150 gallon tank. They're picking at the rocks all the time so I'm guessing they do eat algae. Recently put a few new rocks in that quickly turned green which clearly attracted the hermits' attention. Not sure why some folks think they don't eat algae. Certainly the folks at reefcleaners.org believe they do as they list which particular types of algae they've found each species of hermit crab to eat.

Also have dozens of snails which seem to coexist just fine with the hermits. That said, I did throw in many, many empty shells for the hermits as they grew.

hiClouds

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
99% of hermit crab problems is because they are an afterthought. If reefers put the same time into researching crabs as you do coral and fish you wouldn't have so many issues. Most research is done in the land hermit crab community where they are the only thing in the tank. They require more then just the algae on your rocks. Make them happy and they won't cause any problems.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use Scarlet Hermits. They eat less of my snails and less of each other FME. I hate any others for the most part. Unless I want them for a particular reason and do not mind them killing each other off.

FrontRangeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only risk that hermits have posed in my tank have been to each other - fighting over shells and things like that. Maybe eaten a snail or two, but my snail population is basically self-sustaining at this point. Otherwise, they haven’t touched corals or bothered any of my fish. As far as crustaceans go, my pistol shrimp has been a far bigger PITA to deal with…constantly flipping and burying acan and favia colonies.

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back