Do you consider hermit crabs a RISK in your reef aquarium?

Do you consider hermit crabs a RISK in your reef aquarium?

• YES

Votes: 165 17.4%
  • NO

Votes: 450 47.3%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 248 26.1%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 79 8.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 0.9%

• Total voters

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said other, simply because I'm new, but on that note I have 2 that came in as hitchers from my live rock, once I notice his empty shell and missing a Trochus, they both will be terminated from the tank. I don't like the idea of them eating what they shouldn't. Just my inexperienced opinion.

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the risk but I've never had any serious issues with them. They definitely provide a benefit to the reef. I can sit and watch them piddle thru the sand or rocks and eat leftover bits of stuff at any time of day. They are always fun to watch altho I've had to move them away from my Snails multiple times. Keep them with shells and food to minimize this risk I've found. You could probly do without them but I find them a crucial part of a cuc. Until I have an issue I will continue to keep at least a few around. Once they get huge I might have to consider trading them off tho, we will see what happens. I keep a mixed variety, red leg, blue leg, imported, white claw, Halloween.

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have around 12 hermits and apart from knocking the odd frag off a rock, they're pretty harmless.
I love watching them forage around the sand and rocks !

Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have watched hermit crabs rip apart LPS Corals in front of our eyes on multiple occasions. We do not have any on our farm for that reason.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i voted somewhat. if the hermits are not fed enough they will go find it elsewhere (corals).

i actually am looking to convert to an all snail CUC with the exception of 1 emerald crab, and 1 pitho crab

Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh.. what coral was it by chance? Maybe they were ripping it apart to get food it had eaten?
Micromussa and Favia mostly. We have seen it both times, while the coral was feeding and when it wasn't at all. Non the less we feed our corals and we can't have hermits ripping them apart ever. :confused:

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micromussa and Favia mostly. We have seen it both times, while the coral was feeding and when it wasn't at all. Non the less we feed our corals and we can't have hermits ripping them apart ever. :confused:
Yea absolutely. I love my acans, would be a bad day for a hermit if he touched them. Was it a specific type of hermit or just your average herm

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back